𝟸. 𝙻𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝙵𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍

The next thing I know, I'm lying down, staring up at a white ceiling.

"Welcome back." I look over and I see a nurse in light blue scrubs smiling down at me.

"Um, thanks I guess, but, what happened?" I can remember bits and pieces. A car coming towards me. The crash. The airbags deployed and blocked my view of the crash. A firefighter had to pry my door open. Annnnnd, that's about it.

"Well, you were in a head on collision with another car. You and the driver of the other car escaped with minor scrapes and bruises surprisingly." The nurse explained sweetly. "You got the worst of it, receiving a deep laceration to your left forearm from a shard of glass on your windshield. It might leave a faint scar, but it's stitched up pretty good." Lovely. Well, I guess I shouldn't complain. I am alive after all.

I looked around, taking in my surroundings. I was lying on a hospital bed with curtains to my left and right. It seems I'm in a multi-person room. The nurse noticed me observing my surroundings and spoke up.

"We had to move you to make room for the patients in more critical condition. My name's Martha by the way. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself sooner." She gave me another sweet smile. She has dark blonde hair, a slim face, and ocean-blue eyes. She's fairly young, probably a little older than me. However, she reminds me of a type of grandma nurse despite her age.

"Thanks. My name's Effie. You kind of remind me of a sweet grandma who makes you cookies. That's a compliment by the way." I quickly explained, in case she didn't take it as a compliment.

She chuckled a bit and started speaking, "Thanks! I actually got my name from my grandmother."

"Me too!" I exclaim quickly and loudly without thinking. When I realized this, I quickly covered my mouth with both my hands.

"Would you pipe down! Can't an old man get some sleep around here." I heard a deep, grainy voice shout from my left. Martha turned around and pulled the curtain separating me and the voice back, revealing a raisin. No, it's a cranky old man with gray thinning hair and an idiot because there's no way he thinks that car crash was my fault.

"Mr.Winters, you were just as confused and curious when you woke up 30 minutes ago," Marhta said in a sweet voice, exposing him.

"Yeah, well. I wasn't that loud." The old man said, trying to defend himself. Nope. Too late old man. She already exposed you.

I looked up at Martha and she looked back down at me, noticing my questioning gaze.

"This is Mr.Winters. He was going way too fast and ended up swerving into your lane, causing the crash. He's actually not supposed to be driving." Martha turned back towards Mr.Winters with her hands on her hips.

"I'm 87 woman, don't you think I know how to drive? Can't an old man come to visit his daughter's grave in peace." He picked up a book sitting on the table to his right and put on some reading glasses.

Martha sighed and shook her head. "I've got to finish my rounds. I'll let the doctor know you've both woken up and he'll come let you know if you can go ahead and leave or if he wants you to stay overnight." She gave me one last smile before turning around and making her way out of the large room.

Well, it was now awkward because there were only two other patients in here and they're both sleeping.

"So, you said you came to visit your daughter's grave. Why were you going to opposite way of the gravesite?" I questioned the old man, however, all I got in response was a page turn and a blink.

"Ummm, hello?" I waved my hand out in front of me. "Can you hear me or has that deteriorated too along with your driving skills?" He slammed his book closed and turned towards me with a glare.