11: Being a Judge

Adolph hurried to the waiting coach and slammed the door shut. With a deep breath he took off his judicial gown and unfastened the top button of his high collared dashiki. Promissory note hearings never went well. Especially when high profile personalities were involved. Teddy, who had held the coach for him only had to take one look to know who's favor the case went in.

"The Golden Emirates is a very old hotel," Teddy said toying with his magnet. "It will not be the same without it."

"I'm sure they are aware. In all likelihood they will continue to use the name or come to some sort of negotiation with the family."

"Then why go to court?"

"To make it legal. To make everything nice and clean for future generations."

Teddy shook his head. "Perhaps past generations should have thought thus before putting the hotel as collateral."

Adolph smiled. "You would make a fine lawyer."

"I do well as a preacher."

Adolph laughed. "I'll treat you to lunch today, what would you like?"

Teddy grinned. "brisket."

"Teddy, please."

"Very well. It has been a while since I had pepper soup."

Adolph winched. He did not like spicy dishes but did not want to shut his companion down again. "All right. I know a place nearby." He gave the driver directions and they made their way.

At the restaurant, Adolph found them a table on the upper level and drew the curtain shut after the waiter took their order. Cracking the window for fresh air, he took a seat at the table as Teddy toyed with the salt and pepper shakers.

"Do you spend a lot of time in chambers these days, Adolph?"

Adolph scoffed. "My family life is fine, if that is what you're after? You do not need to beat around the bush with me. Both my parents are in excellent health; I'm sure my father would like to see you."

Teddy's magnet made a connection. "You haven't mentioned Akosua since I arrived."

"She likes her private life."

"Would it be appropriate if I paid call?"

Adolph shrugged. "I see no reason why not." He leaned back and crossed his legs. The spicy aroma of the soups drifting through the walls made him hungry, but he had ordered something much milder which made the waiter crack a joke about his manliness. Adolph was used to such quips when it came to his taste in food. He did not know how Teddy managed, and always attributed it to his northern heritage.

Heavy commotion brought him out of his thoughts. He got up and stepped outside the curtain with Teddy following. The two stood at the banister a moment before realizing it came from the next room. A moment later an elderly man came out carrying a tray but from how he was dressed it was clear he was not a member of staff.

Adolph went up to the curtain and drew it back an inch. Three men sat around the table. One had a large white beard and dressed in fine clothes, while the others appeared to be servants. Adolph had seen many things in his days, but it was rare to see distinguished gentlemen dine publicly with their servants. He caught a glimpse of the emblem on the man's token.

"Singh household. Teddy, look at these men. They look mighty comfortable with their master, don't they?"

"Good food will do that to you, I suppose."

"Use the mind of a prosecutor, Teddy."

"But I am not."

"Take a look at the one on the left. Their clothing is humble, right down to their socks, but his hands have never worked a day in his life. And the bearded gentlemen. His face is as smooth as polished stone." Adolph was certain they were looking at not one nobleman but three.