16: A Conspiracy

The soft sunlight cast a  glow over the colorful looms and embroidery stands as the girls worked. The sweet air drifted in from the windows carrying the scent of the blossoming wood and the tune of jovial birds. Akosua walked among the students admiring everything from tiny blossoms, to kente, to mandarin ducks all the while reading over the letter in her hand. She imagined the ink had not dried before the information was leaked from the palace.

Attention Truth Embroidery House. You are hereby selected with the honor of preparing his royal highness's robes. The requested articles will be stated henceforth. In admiration of your talent, you will be paid in advance and upon completion of the aforementioned task. If all goes according to the wishes of those requesting your services, you shall be handsomely rewarded.

"Six robes embroidered with dragons. One with accents of palms and fruits..." Akosua read on. Her mind refused to believe it, but the assortment of noble women gossiping over shortbread cookies in the school dining room told her otherwise. She feared if word continued to spread, they would be overrun.

She went into the school shop. This time of day it was usually empty but a few women mingled among the shelves, keeping the staff busy. There they sold the student's work, as well as a variety of sewing supplies. Bolts of fabric lined the walls along with bins of buttons and racks of spools. Three display cases stood about the floor space showcasing dolls and gloves, and socks and wash clothes while the embroidery art itself lined the walls waiting to adorn whatever the buyer imagined.

"Princess Shu."

Akosua turned around. "Lady John-Ann."

"I did not imagine I would see you about as busy as it is today," John-Ann said. "How good! Perhaps you could help us pick out a gift for our little sister for her pending nuptials."

Akosua tucked the letter into her apron pocket. "Of course. What sort of things does she like? Birds, or flowers, or perhaps something from the ocean would be more to her taste." She gestured for Mary to bring something over.

John-Ann and her sisters looked at the embroidery samples on the counter.

"Anything you like can be put on a pair of gloves or handkerchief," Akosua said. "Also there are plenty of things here ready-made. If you like you may order her a gown."

John-Ann laughed. "I'm not sure I'm fond of Diana that much. Already she lords it over the rest of my sisters that she will be a Fortescue. I suppose she forgets I am an Obi." The siblings laughed. She went over to a shelf and picked out a handkerchief. "Sybil, does this not remind you of my John-Paul? He does like lupines."

"How vivid they are," Sybil said. "He truly is so good to you, sister. You must be eager for news."

"I know in my heart of hearts he is all right, "John-Ann said.

"You two are so good together," another sister said. "I'm sure he is thinking of you and the boys this very minute."

John-Ann smiled. "You are all too kind to me. I am sorry I could not recommend your husbands for better positions." The other sisters dismissed this. "Though I've grown ill with exchanging useless pleasantries with women I hardly know in polite society. As soon as my John-Paul returns I've planned a holiday to the seaside."

The sisters finished with the items before them and moved on. "Do you have anything more unique?" one of them asked.

"Perhaps I could interest you ladies in some of our embroidered belts," Akosua said. "Mary, would you please bring them?"

Mary returned to the counter and took down the rack featuring long colorful belts and brought them to the women.

"These here are all floral motifs" Akosua said, "but you may choose any sort of design you wish. Perhaps something that represents each one of you to show your sisterhood."