four.

-☆-

-☆-

CHAPTER FOUR: Maddy's birthday

EVAN felt like her lungs were going to give out.

Not literally, she's just dramatic.

It was Maddy's birthday and she was celebrating with a cute little party at the Howard's house, courtesy of Cassie - and her mom drunkenly insisting on it. And Evan, who had arrived earlier that afternoon to help set up, had been tasked with blowing up the balloons, which she had been doing for the past hour.

It had started to get dark, and Maddy, Kat and BB would be arriving soon. Evan placed the final lilac colored balloon on the floor along with the rest. She made her way to Cassie and Lexi's bedroom, where her girlfriend was getting ready.

Pushing open the door, she saw Cassie checking over her makeup in her vanity mirror. She was wearing a light pink dress and had braided the two front pieces of her blonde hair, and smiled once she saw Evan in the mirror's reflection.

Evan smiled back and walked over to her girlfriend. Wrapping her arms around her shoulder, she pressed a light kiss to her cheek and looked back at the reflection of the two of them.

"You look beautiful," Evan mumbled, pressing her face into Cassie's neck and inhaling her familiar rose perfume. Cassie turned her head and softly placed a kiss on Evan's blonde hair.

"Thank you, you do as well," Cassie whispered. They stayed like that for a moment, just basking in each others presence. Something they hadn't done in a while. Cassie had been so distant and preoccupied. Evan missed spending time with her - she missed her girlfriend in general, and she wasn't even gone.

The doorbell rang and they broke apart. Time for the party to start. Evan held her hand out for the shorter blonde. "Ready to go?"

Cassie grinned up at her and took her hand, Evan leading the two downstairs. Suze had already let them in, and Maddy's face lit up when she saw the two. She pulled Cassie in for a tight hug and then turned to Evan, holding her arms out.

"Happy birthday, Maddy," Evan said as she hugged the small girl.

Maddy pulled back and smiled at Evan, arms still wrapped around her neck, "thank you, Ev."

"I spent hours blowing up those balloons, so you better appreciate them," Evan teased, leading Maddy to the main part of the house where everything was set up.

Maddy laughed and picked up one of the purple balloons, "thank you so much for your service."

"Happy to help," Evan replied, giving her a mini salute. Then Kat came and dragged Maddy and Evan to the dining room, where various snacks and foods were - as well as more purple balloons. Evan took the seat next to Lexi, whilst Maddy sat at the head of the table.