eight.

-☆-

-☆-

CHAPTER EIGHT: Is this fucking play about us?

IT had been a couple of months since all the drama and chaos went down, the semester was drawing to a close. Evan and Maddy were still very good, totally platonic friends. Rue got and stayed clean. Jules is still kind of hung up on her, much to Evan's dismay. Nate and Cassie were still together, and she still had no friends. But thats her business.

The auditorium was bustling with excitement and anticipation. Lexi's mysterious play was finally finished and was opening that afternoon. Evan was excited, in all honesty. The younger Howard hadn't let any of her friends in on what it was about, no matter how much Evan pestered her. Only letting her know that its 'probably going to upset some people.' Whatever that means. 

She sat in between Maddy and Kat, with BB on the other side. Evan had become a part of the group, no longer being just Cassie's plus one, and they had all become pretty close. The three were all jokingly consoling BB because how she couldn't vape in the auditorium. She was very broken up about this.

Suddenly, the lights in the stands dimmed and the curtains opened, revealing a girl lying down on a couch, dressed in a dark red hoodie and gray sweatpants. Evan reached over and squeezed Maddy's hand, to signal her excitement. She could see the smaller woman smile at her through her peripheral. 

Lexi's voice rang out through the overhead speakers, accompanied with a dramatic song playing along.

"It was the summer before I started ninth grade, back when we thought we'd all be friends forever."

The stage went dark once again and a single spotlight shone onto it. A suspenseful drum roll followed, and the crew brought in a white backdrop, a chair, and a photography camera. Kat's ex-boyfriend Ethan stood at the camera, whilst Lexi walked out in a floral black dress. She sat on the stool and a recording of her voice played.

"There were five of us," her photo was snapped, "there was me, Grace."

After Lexi walked off, a blonde girl wearing a pink sweater, who took a seat on the stool. "My sister, Hallie."

Wait- 

She left the stage and a short girl dressed in a blue Maddy-esque outfit and matching makeup was next. "Her best friend, Marta."

Oh, Evan could see where this was going now. She could see Maddy looking confusedly at the stage, seeing her probable portrayal.

Next up was- "Marta's best friend, Luna," which must of been Kat's portrayal. 

Lastly was a girl Evan assumed was meant to be Rue, who was the girl that was on the stage earlier.  "And my best friend, Jade." 

Rue's double left and the crew took away the backdrop, whilst other members were bringing in large white letters. "And this is life, not everyone's life, but."