13. Back to square one

"Tell us, Dr. Neville, why did this tragedy occur to our dear sector 21?" The news reader on the radio said. 

"It has to do with the enemy poisoning the oceans." The guy pretending to be Neville said. "That's what the reason has to be." 

"Poisoning with what?" 

"With the Fragment. The Fragment is potent. And it has been the enemy's prime weapon in the war. God knows it has given them a step ahead of us. We can't let them keep winning with it." The Neville imposter said. "Our scientists at the meteorological center are investigating the residue that the rain has left behind. Soon we will have--"

Marie slammed a fist on the radio and turned it off. "What a load of crap." She sneered under her gas mask. "That's not why it rained and that's not Neville speaking." 

The mention of the name made Clint swallow hard, his adam's apple bobbing up and down. "N-No, it isn't." I killed that man myself. 

Next Marie slammed down on the steering wheel. "Stupid piece of crap! This damn clunker has ran out of gas at the right moment!"  

Clint put a hand on her shoulder. "Calm down, honey." He pointed at the backseat where Zack had fallen asleep. "Let's just get out and find a place to squat for a while." He whispered. 

Marie frowned before nodding. Clint gently lifted the boy into his arms and Marie took Zack's backpack along with her own. It was nearing dawn. Orange sunlight was peeking over purple clouds. Dead trees stood withered and bald like disintegrating skeletons. The slight scraping their boots made against the road sounded like chalk grating against a blackboard in an empty classroom. The hiss of their respirators was shrill like the wind inside a hollow bamboo.

They'd driven for eight hours straight. Clint had managed to doze off here and there but Marie was vigilant throughout the journey. Her eyes were wide awake, yet her face under the visor of her mask was a bit long from the fatigue. 

Clint shuffled a bit closer to her as they kept walking. "Are you okay?" He frowned in concern. 

Marie knit her eyebrows. He noticed her lips rolling in under her mask. 

"You didn't sleep all night. And also, there wasn't any music on the radio." He said with a slight smile. "I'm seriously worried that you didn't even complain once that there wasn't any music. You used to get so cranky back during our road trips." He blushed a little. "You used to look so adorable when you did." 

Marie looked at him only to find him shyly smiling away. She couldn't help but smile herself. She shuffled closer to him too, linked her arm into his. "I'm more glad that we made it alive before the rains." 

Clint nodded. "I hope Cathy and...Neville's wife did too." He looked up at the sky. "Do you think we'll meet her again? Cathy must've gotten on that plane with the lady." 

"Does it really matter that they did?" Marie said. "I'm just glad to think that they managed to survive it all."

Zack stirred a bit in Clint's arms. Clint patted the boy on his back as if soothing him back to sleep. "You're right. There's no point in dwelling on that plane thing again." He said. "It wasn't meant for us anyway." 

Marie gave a strained nod. She absently rubbed Clint's arm as they walked down the empty street. 

Clint licked his lips, his eyebrows furrowing as he looked ahead. "I-Is now the right time to talk about...what you'd asked earlier?" He said. "About Nick?" 

Marie frowned. "I don't know, Clint." 

Clint groaned softly, so as not to wake up Zack. "I didn't do it. But," he bit his lip. "I..."