Tinkling Village

With the first cool winds marking the midsummer evenings came the seeds that would sow the end of the Dragon Haven. They did not come from the ginko trees in the east, nor the magnolia in the west. Instead, they would come from Tinkling Village.

Lao Longzi called the meeting the morning after midsummer.

"I need someone to come with me to the village to gather supplies."

There was a groan among Dragon Keepers and dragons alike. Hei Lei snorted. Bong rolled his eyes.

Gathering supplies was not an affair as simple as walking to a local market and purchasing goods. The dragons lived far from the towns, and locals are not akin to simple transactions where dragons, nor Dragon Keepers, are involved. A common system for supplies was in place instead; dragons and their keepers would work, carrying out jobs the locals seldom would, nor could, do. In return, they were rewarded, often heavily, with supplies, gifts and more.

There was a cost, however – time. The last supply run was carried out by Bong and Jiang at The Winter Haven. The job took them two months.

Lao was most bemused. "Well, don't all volunteer at once, then!"

Bong sighed. "What do we need?"

"Rice, pickled vegetables, eggs, wine," Lao began to list. "we need sewing supplies too." There were more groans. Lao Zi then tapped his foot. "Would it appease anyone if mead were involved?"

Suddenly, all men looked at him with interest. Bong even stood, looking ready to mount Jiang for the journey.

All - except Anh, who hadn't tasted mead, nor traveled to the local village before.

Lao noted the youth's hesitation. "Fine." He said. "Anh, you and Hei Lei can come with me."

Anh stared at Lao. "Do I have to?"

"Do you like having a full stomach and warm blankets to sleep in?" Lao asked.

"Well, yes." Anh agreed. "But that's not the point."

"Grab some fruit and a cloak." Lao said. "It's a days journey to the village."

Anh sighed before taking his leave to find the fruit. As he walked out of the cave, the other Dragon Keepers whistled and whooped.

"Lao, wait." Gao Zi said stretching as he stood. "Perhaps Lu Yu and I should come with you too."

Lao raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"To keep an eye on Anh. It's his first visit to the village." He said matter of factly.

"Fine." Lao said taking his leave. "Hurry up then."

Gao Zi jumped down to the landing. He landed with ease, but the sudden movement triggered a coughing fit. When he came too, Anh crossed his arms. "You know I grew up in a village, right?"

"I know." Gao Zi said with a grin. He leaned closer so that only Anh could hear him. "I just know how painful it can be traveling with my brother. I'll keep you company."

Anh stifled a laugh looking over at Lao who was counting the dragons travel packs. They had not gotten on at the best of times, and Anh did feel better about going to village if Gao Zi and Lu Yu were joining them.

"Watch out Anh!" Bong whooped. "You might catch village fever."

Anh scowled at Bong, which made him laugh even louder.

As he took his leave from the cave Gao caught a hold of him by the shoulder. "Anh, wait."

"Yes?" He said.