The Chu Army

The sun was high in the sky, shining a blinding glare over Dragon Lake, when the party of peace negotiators approached the Chu camp. As they drew near, they could hear the distant sound of soldiers shouting and the clanging of swords against shields.

An arrow flew past Tun causing the young dragon to cast a deafening screech as he glided above the camps watchtower. Lao Longzi and Danzi followed him, dodging iron arrows. Danzi brought his claws to the scaffold watch tower where the arrows were shot and pulled out one of the guards with his talons.

"No!" Lord Cao, seated uncomfortably behind Lao Longzi yelled. "No, we come in peace! Tell Danzi to put the man down."

Drop him to the ground. Lao commanded of Danzi.

Danzi dropped the man from talon to talon in a sort of twisted play game before gently placing the man on the ground below. Lord Cao cried out loud, "We come in peace! Please! We come in peace! Bring your leader out to us."

The soldiers around Danzi looked puzzled and terrified as they exchanged glances with one another behind their pointed spears. Hei Lei and Anh flew above at that point, delighting the soldiers to one of Hei Lei's blistering screeches.

"Are you deaf?" Anh yelled at the men.

"Bring us your leader!" Lord Cao demanded as he unfastened himself from Danzi. It was lucky some of the soldiers had dashed off to the find their leader. Lord Cao had made quite an entrance, but his wobbly and clumsy gait diminished any credit he had going on for himself as a bold dragon rider.

The rest of the party landed in the clearing by the watchtower. Tun, however, had flown far off to the other side of the lake.

Where's he going? Bong inquired.

Spooked by a flimsy arrow. Hei Lei muttered.

Those arrows are tipped with iron, Danzi said. As are the spears and swords. We must advise their leaders to place away their weapons during peace talks.

Bong groaned. I don't think they will agree to that.

The party waited half an hour before a posse of soldiers came out from the barracks. They were accompanied by a particularly odd looking man with kohl around his eyes and lips.

A eunuch. Danzi said as if reading Anh's mind.

Probably still has bigger balls than his false emperor. Hei Lei chimed.

The eunuch did not bow to the party, but instead studied them sternly. In a practiced Qin accent he advised the party of their leaders willingness to meet them.

"Just one thing," Lao said. "The dragons can't be around iron. It harms them."

The eunuch's gaze darkened. "You come to our camp uninvited, throw one of our men from a tower, and demand our leader to your bequest. Now, you ask us to lay down our weapons?"

"Not all of them." Anh said.

"Just those in the meeting, perhaps?" Bong pleaded.

"No." The eunuch said firmly. "If your dragons are afraid of iron, then perhaps you should rethink your principles on war again before breaking your codes." Anh could see Lao Longzi gritting his teeth. The eunuch beckoned the party to the posse. "Come – General Xiang Ji awaits."

The party drew glances at each other, hesitant. The Dragon Keepers looked to their dragons, the council to themselves. Each man and dragon nodded before walking between the posse and into the Chu camp.

Anh had never been to a war camp before – judging by Bong and Lao's demeanour, he guessed they hadn't, neither. The negotiators walked with purpose, however, their heads held high and their faces calm and collected. Lord Cao walked ahead, carrying a white flag of truce in one hand and a scroll in the other. Inside the camp, they were greeted by the sight of hundreds of soldiers, armed and ready for battle. The negotiators remained undaunted and continued walking.