24. Threat

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Abhay tightly cradled Kashi against his chest, concern etched on his face. "Are you okay, Kashi?" he asked, gently holding her face while Kashi nodded in affirmation.

Guiding her, Abhay held Kashi's hand and settled her on a bench, instructing her to stay.
"You sit here." He said, and confronted Rana.

"How did all this happen?" he demanded. Frustration, visible on his face.

"I don't know; I'll find now." Rana replied, seemingly clueless.

"Call the commissioner." Abhay instructed, approaching Kashi.

"Aap sach mein thik hai na?" he inquired, and Kashi held his hand reassuring him, "I'm fine, Hukum Sa."

The Commissioner soon arrived, saluting Abhay. Abhay, visibly angered, pressed for answers. "Find out who's behind all this." He demanded, as the Commissioner hesitated.

Abhay lifted Kashi, carrying her in his arms while the onlookers observed them in silence.
"Investigate the whole matter and I want my answers by evening." Abhay said, and walked past, carrying Kashi in his arms.

Reaching the car, Abhay carefully placed Kashi and went on the driver's seat.
"I'm taking her. Find out how this happened." He directed Rana before driving away.

Kashi, seated beside him, pondered the events, and Abhay's stern expression hinted his anger. She wondered something and diverted her thoughts to outside. The ride soon halted at the palace, where Shalini and Vijay awaited them.

Abhay opened the door for Kashi, who walked forward, hand in hand with him. They walked forward but, Shalini intercepted them at the threshold.

"What happened now?" Kashi inquired. And Vijay chimed in,
"The Bindhni of this palace is returning home, with her Bindh.
Aab unka swagat toh pure riti riwaaz ke saath hona chaiye na."

Shalini instructed the servants to bring a bowl of rice, a puja plate, and an alta plate. Kashi looked at them with surprise, and a smile crossed Abhay's face. Servants watched them, standing still.

"Chale, Hukum Ranisa." Abhay said, extending his hand to Kashi and she hesitantly placed her hand in his.

Shalini did the aarti for both of them, applying tika and imprinting Kashi's hand on the plate. Kashi scattered the rice and stepped onto the plate, entering the palace.

"Welcome home, Kashi." Shalini chirped, and as she declared, flowers began to cascade down on Kashi and Abhay.

Abhay's joy reflected in seeing Kashi happy. He expressed his gratitude to Shalini and Vijay with a gesture, while they welcomed him in return.

Shalini began leading Kashi upstairs, but Kashi struggled with the stairs. Abhay, noticing this, swiftly approached her and lifted Kashi into his arms, and carried her upstairs.