Chapter 26

AN: I am so sorry for the late update! I do appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read, vote, comment on my book! Here's the next chapter!

I took a deep, steadying breath as I closed my locker door. My stomach was twisting in knots at the thought of tutoring with Ms. Clarke today.

So much had changed after our kiss. I'd replayed it over and over in my mind, still unable to believe that magical moment had been real. Her soft lips on mine, the tenderness in her eyes - it was everything I never knew I wanted.

But what did it mean? Did she regret it? I knew relationships between teachers and students were forbidden, yet my heart couldn't let go of the hope that flare of attraction hinted at more developing between us.

As my feet carried me down the now-familiar path to her classroom, uncertainty and anticipation waged war inside me. I longed to feel her embrace again, to know if that kiss had sparked desires in her too - but I also dreaded the discussion where she might let me down easy, adhering to rules and propriety over the call of the heart.

As I walked down the hall toward Ms. Clarke's room, lost in thought, a vaguely familiar figure stepped into my path. I looked up to see Dylan, regarding me nervously.

"Hey, Emma. Um, how are you doing?" he asked, shuffling his feet.

Sighing, I crossed my arms. "Jeez, Dylan, I don't even know. I was taken out of the only home that actually showed me love and care, then got dumped into a house that should be on a reality show, it's so insane."

Dylan winced, looking regretful. "I'm really sorry about what happened. I tried to talk to the social worker, and Susan to tell them how good you were with us, but..."

He trailed off helplessly with a one-shouldered shrug. I knew it wasn't truly his fault, yet some resentment still lingered at being ripped from what little stability I'd found.

Softening, I replied "I know you tried, Dylan. It's in the past now." A pause, then - "Is there something else you needed?" Time was ticking toward my tutoring session.

Dylan looked at me with a hesitant expression. "I just thought you might want to know...Jolie's been grounded ever since they took you away."

I crossed my arms tightly, feeling a familiar ache blossom in my chest.

He continued quietly. "And Susan and William, they cried for days. William had nightmares that the social workers came to take us away too."

Fighting back tears, I glared at Dylan. "Is that supposed to make me feel better? You think I like knowing the people I cared about are hurting because I'm gone?"

Dylan held up his hands placatingly. "No, of course not. I just...I miss you, Em. We all do. I wanted you to know they still think about you."

I took a shaky breath. As much as I hated picturing their pain, some small comfort came in knowing I wasn't forgotten.

"I miss you guys too. That place really felt like home for once, you know?" A bitter laugh escaped me. "Not that anyone in the system cares."

Dylan stepped closer hesitantly. "We're still fighting for you, Emma. The case isn't closed."

I glanced up at him, a fragile hope igniting in my chest. Throwing caution to the wind, I wrapped my arms around him tightly. For a moment, the familiar embrace eased some of the ache of loss.

I pulled away from Dylan's embrace, feeling slightly more at peace even as a pang of sadness struck me once more. Glancing at the time, I realized I was in danger of being late.