9: 𝔽𝕚𝕝𝕚𝕡𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕦𝕝𝕠𝕦𝕤

𝘍𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘴- hanging on by a thread

——————————🎀🎀——————————

Rose's POV:

When we're kids, we tend to believe our lives will never change. No one can die, especially our parents. We live in a bubble of total bliss and oblivion where our biggest problem is not wanting to take a nap.

And then we're forced to grow up. Suddenly, society pops the bubble without any warning. We are left stranded and defenseless all on our own.

I thought I was coping well with Mama's death, that is until today. Today, instead of putting on a floral dress and a big happy smile, I put on a long black dress with tears flowing down my face. Instead of feeling bored, I feel nothing but deep sadness. My heart aches for something that is no longer reality and it hurts. It hurts so bad.

She was never supposed to leave. We were supposed to be together forever. And now she's gone; a mere whisper in the wind. By the end of the day, the only sign of her life will be a slab of stone and a casket placed underneath the ground.

I hate life. But I don't really; without it, I wouldn't have met Giovanni or gotten to have any time with Mama. It's just so hard.

Having no energy to move on my own, Gio picks me up and carries me to a black car waiting for us. Inside there is already a driver so me and Giovanni both slide in the back. It's raining outside. I feel like that's quite fitting if I'm being honest; yes rain symbolizes sadness, but it represents so much more. With the gloominess of rain, comes the promise of new life and a new start. Rain gives life to the earth just like Mama gave me my life.

Besides the pitter-patter of rain on the car, the drive to the graveyard is silent. I feel Gio's concerned gaze on me the whole time but I just stare blankly at my lap. When the car eventually comes to a halt, I stay seated feeling that if I move I might start bawling my eyes out.

In the corner of my eye, I see Giovanni getting out of the car. Seconds later, my door opens and he unbuckles me.

"Angelo, do you want me to carry you?"

I don't respond. I really want to; I want to thank him for always being so kind to me, for being so understanding and patient, and I want to tell him to just hold me for the rest of our lives, but I don't. Instead, I stupidly sit there not uttering a word. Gio sighs and picks me up anyway and I'm thankful for that.

When my head hits his shoulder, my eyes close and I greedily inhale his scent. It seems to help calm me down a bit. As I hold onto Gio like a koala bear, he takes us to Mama's final resting place. It's exactly where I wanted it to be; right next to Grandma's. A willow tree sways in the breeze just above both grave sights and ducks quack in a pond nearby. It is so calm. Hopefully Mama will be happy here, I know I would be.

As her casket is lowered into the grave and fat tears roll down my face, I grab Giovanni's hands.

"Gio, can we pray for Mama please?" I'm not a very religious person, but I'm desperate. In this moment I'll do just about anything to ensure peace for Mama.

My only friend looks me in the eyes and nods his head.  With his approval, I bow my head. "Dear whoever is up there watching over all of us, please help my Mama wherever she is. She was and will forever be not only my mother but also my best friend. She had such a beautiful soul and I hope I'll get to see her again someday. Until then, please keep her safe and help me cope with her passing. Amen."

By the time I've finished the prayer, I can't see clearly and snot is pouring out of my nose (I'm an extremely ugly cryer). Giovanni hugs me tight and then hands me some flowers. They're peonies, Mama's favorite flower, how ironic. I look at him curiously not knowing why he's giving me them.

"You can throw these in her grave if you'd like."

"Okay," I murmur in a soft voice. Taking the beautiful pink flowers out of his hands, I slowly walk up to the edge of her grave and throw them in one by one. With each flower, I feel myself getting number and number. After the last one is finally thrown in and my hands are empty, I lifelessly walk back to Giovanni's side.

Immediately, he wraps his arms around my body. As Mama is officially being buried, I cling to him for dear life. No words are spoken, just my quiet sobs and the sound of shoveling can be heard. As it gets to be too much for me to handle, I feel my legs turn into jelly and begin to fall. Before I hit the ground though, Giovanni catches me and picks me up in a firm grip.

"Do you want to go home Angelo?" he whispers in my ear. Not feeling very talkative, I just nod my head. "It's going to be alright baby. I know it's hard right now but I promise it will get better."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise."

——————————🎀🎀——————————