14: 𝕋𝕣𝕠𝕘𝕘𝕝𝕖𝕙𝕦𝕞𝕡𝕖𝕣

𝘛𝘳𝘰𝘨𝘨𝘭𝘦𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳- a term for one of the very worst nightmares you can have
(Roald Dahl)

𝘛𝘳𝘰𝘨𝘨𝘭𝘦𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳- a term for one of the very worst nightmares you can have(Roald Dahl)

——————————🎀🎀——————————

Rose's POV:

Black is all I can see as darkness surrounds me. Even when my hand is just a couple of inches away from my face, I still can't see it.

I'm curled up in a ball on the cold, hard ground and I can't hear anything. My hands slowly reach around me trying to find something but it's useless. Having all of my senses deprived of anything and everything is extremely terrifying.

Suddenly, a blinding light shines down and I'm in a forest surrounded by gigantic trees. It's not cold, yet I find myself shivering. In the distance, I hear a feminine voice speaking. I recognize it from somewhere yet I can't seem to remember exactly where. The voice seems to be moving closer to me.

The person who steps out of the trees a few moments later shocks me; it's Mama. Her eyes are full of panic and she looks different; the same lips that used to kiss me goodnight sit in a frown. Her expression resembles one of a person who has seen and experienced more pain than anyone ever should.

For a second, it doesn't matter that I'm in a weird forest. It doesn't matter that I'm probably imagining things. The only thing that matters is that she's here with me; it's just me and Mama forever and ever. I'm filled with relief as I stare at the person who gave me life and comfort for all those years.

And then that moment ends. Mama's eyes turn lifeless as she pulls out a sharp, silver dagger from a pocket in her dress. The handle is lined with intricate designs of snakes that are ready to strike. In one swift movement, she lifts it up and forcefully stabs herself in the stomach and I cry out.

Fear grips me as I begin to smell and taste something metallic; blood. Blood is not good. Blood brings back bad memories.

"Be careful of who you trust.." Mama whispers to me and closes her eyes. No, not again. I can't do this again!

Suddenly the space between us grows exponentially. A field of thorns separates me from her dying body.

I try to run to her but I find that my feet are stuck in place, glued to the ground. The forest seems to be trying to choke me out as I struggle to move my body but nothing happens. Vines with sharp thorns begin to wrap around my feet and legs. As they continue to crawl up my body tears flow down my face in waves from frustration and desperation.

It's useless, I can't move and for the second time in my life, I'm forced to watch as the life slowly drains out of the one person I've ever loved.

Then a low, menacing voice begins whispering, "Doll...doll, don't run..." Absolute terror runs through my body and I struggle to breathe. In front of me lies Mama's lifeless body and behind me, someone who promises to never let me go approaches.

A scream shatters its way through my body and I jerk my arms and legs away from the suffocating thorns.

***

I wake up with a jolt as a strong body tightly embraces me. I'm covered in sweat and shaking uncontrollably; I hate how gross I feel. Sob after sob wracks through my tired body as Gio holds me in a tight grip.

"Shhh fragolina. It's going to be all right," he gently wipes some of my sticky hair out of my face and continues to hold me. "Calm down baby, breathe with me. That's it; in and out, in and out."

I try my best to calm the raging storm in my heart and follow his instructions. After a few minutes, my panic attack seems to have subsided enough for me to breathe on my own. I snuggle my head into his chest and inhale his calming scent. Gio gingerly lays me back down on the couch and I give him a wobbly smile.

"Sorry," I don't know why but I feel the need to apologize for freaking out.

He gives me a hard look, "You have nothing to be sorry for; don't ever apologize for feeling your emotions."

I nod my head letting him know I understand though it's not possible for me to not say sorry. I'm a people pleaser through and through, it's who I am.

"Now what got mio angelo all worked up?"

His words bring me back to my awful dream. I involuntarily shiver thinking about it. "N-nightmare," I manage to mumble out.

"Oh my sweet girl, it's alright. It was just a dream." Gio lovingly strokes my shoulder trying to calm me down. Acting on impulse, I suddenly lift myself up and grab ahold of him never wanting to let go.

He moves me onto his lap and I feel him bring me into a large bear hug. Slowly, he begins rocking us side to side and I feel the last bits of my panic fade away. It's almost as if he sucked the negative thoughts right out of my brain and now all that's left is calm, rational thoughts; something I'm not used to having.

Giovanni is like my own personal antidote. Whenever I'm down, he brings me up. I wish there were some way for me to repay him for his kindness.

Eventually, I unhook myself from him and move off of his lap; I'm probably too heavy. At the loss of contact though, I feel lonely again. The invisible force field that was up just moments ago is completely gone. Not liking this, I lay my head on Gio's lap.

"I'm sorry Gio," I feel the inexplicable urge to apologize yet again.

I feel his stern gaze piercing through my skull in disapproval and the sound of his voice only reconfirms my suspicions. "Shh, what did I say before; no apologizing for being a person with emotions okay fragolina?"

"Mhm," I whisper and nod my head.

"Words baby," he gently demands.

"Okay Gio, I'll try not to apologize so much," I look at him knowing that it's going to be an almost impossible habit of mine to break but I'll try for him. For Giovanni, I would do anything.

"Good girl."

——————————🎀🎀——————————