Chapter Eleven

Lord Caldwell stared at his mother in absolute silence. Belinha watched as he opened his mouth and then closed it. She felt the same way—how could the Duchess offer such a thing, and of Lord Caldwell?!

When he finally spoke, he sounded a little irritated. "I'm sorry, mother, but there seems to be cotton in my ears. Surely you didn't ask me to be a confidant for your..." he glanced briefly over at Belinha, "lady-in-waiting?"

The Duchess rolled her eyes. "Stop being dramatic, Richard. Louise is afraid of being hurt again at the picnic—"

"Wait, my lady I—"

"—so I'd feel much better if you're around," she said, cutting Belinha off. "She's my confidant, so I want you to be to her what she is to me. I never ask you for much, Richard, so please honour this one wish of mine."

Lord Caldwell didn't respond, shifting on his feet as if searching for words. Belinha cut in, not wanting to be the cause of the awkward tension or a rift to be driven between the two.

"I appreciate your concern, my lady, but Lord Caldwell needn't do that." In fact, she didn't need a man of his status breathing down her neck for the entirety of the day when she was only trying to lay low. It would bring about too much attention.

Before any of them could respond, Belinha fell back into a deep curtsey and rushed out of the room. It was rude to leave without excusing herself but she didn't want to stay there for any longer than need be. Instead of staying inside, feeling as if her throat was clogged by two hands, she decided to go out around the courtyard and down the pebbled path that led to the barn.

She saw Lord Beau retreat quickly inside, right past her, giving her ample time to survey the surroundings that she had to herself for a moment.

There stood a few brown horses, but a lone jet black horse, taller and muscular than the others seemed to stand out. It had leather buckles around its face, leading to a saddle already atop its back. A large splotch of white gave it colour on its front left thigh. It had majestic silky dark hair that started from the top of its head right to the back of its neck. Tufts of black curled above each of its hooves like curtains.

Her feet led her closer to this particular majestic being. Its ears flicked away a fly as it snorted softly. Belinha's chest bubbled, a giggle making its way out.

Her hand stretched out with full intent of caressing the top of its face. As if knowing what was coming, the horse stepped forward and leaned into her touch.

Like a cooling balm, her worries from before dissipated. No thought of Lord Caldwell or Sir Pablo tumbled through her mind. No. It was only her and nature. And this incredible creature that seemed to understand the turmoil within her. As she placed a kiss right above its nose, the horse nudged her head.

"I do not take lightly to people touching Thunder," came the voice from behind her. She whipped around. Lord Caldwell stood with his arms behind his back, head slightly tilted as he watched her. "But she seems to have taken a liking to you."

She stepped away. "Apologies, my lord. I did not mean to overstep. Your horse is such a beautiful animal. I could not help but admire it."

"She is most beautiful indeed." His shoulders dropped in ease and his features softened. "I was three and ten when Thunder was gifted to me by father. She was only a child. I have been protective of her since."

Belinha tightly wrung the front of her dress. She did not know how to process this information given to her. Was she to smile? Empathise? Lord Caldwell seemed as uncomfortable as she, opting to keep his gaze on his horse.

Curtsey and take your leave, her mind told her. She would have, had he not spoken once again. "My mother put us in quite a precarious situation if I do say so myself. I cannot say if she is wrong in the matter."

"My lord, I am not sure I follow. You say you agree with her?"

He hummed as if he wasn't sure of it himself. "Acting as a confidant for you will ease mother's worries, at least until the tide of your presence washes over."

The reluctance that framed the end of his sentence confirmed Belinha's thoughts. He did not want to do this as much as she did not want him to. How could she refuse now that he had taken it upon himself to go through with his mother's wishes?

She could only imagine how much the Duchess would have scolded him or even pleaded for him to accept. Belinha, however, didn't want him to feel trapped into making such a decision.

"Your mother only wishes the best for me but I do not need a confidant."

Lord Caldwell ignored her plea and headed over to Thunder. "Have you ever rode a horse?" he asked, instead. The abrupt change of topic made her pause for a slight moment. "Well? Have you?"

"I have only ever touched them," she accidentally blurted.

He observed her with a thoughtful gaze. "Where are you from again?"

"Oh, a place quite far from here." She racked her brain to think of something when she remembered the name that Sir Pablo had mentioned on that ship. "Rockwell!"

"Is that so? Last I recall that is a day or two's journey, correct?"

"Yes, and it was a very exhausting journey, my lord. Now please, if you shall excuse me, I must tend to Her Grace."

Before he could ask her any more incriminating questions, she had to escape. The worries that had been casted away by an innocent animal hit her in full force, clogging her chest and restricting her ability to breathe.

Suddenly, that cast of darkness fell down on her; she could never be free.

She was trapped.