Chapter Thirteen

She shot up, the book falling to a thud onto the floor. Whipping around, Lord Caldwell stood leaning against the doorsill.

"I did not mean to sneak about," she squeaked as he headed over to her.

"You should not be constrained to explore. I permit you to do so." He bent and picked up the book before turning it over. He skimmed the words on the front. "Frankenstein. You have good literary taste, Miss Price."

Please don't ask me what I think of it, she pleaded, hands curled into fists by her side. "I must take leave, my lord," she rushed in to say. She hurried past him before he could say a word.

"If I am to be your confidant," he called out to her back, "then this 'running away whenever I am near' business won't do."

Her stiff shoulders raised to her ears. He was right. He was already suspicious as it was and continuing to run would only prove his words to be true.

"I only run to get back to my assigned duty, my lord."

"You're my assigned duty now, so please let me do my part also."

"I apologise."

"I will accept that apology on one condition." She raised her head and he continued, "That you share your experience of the book. Besides Eliza, I have yet to meet those that indulge themselves in gothic novels."

No, no, no! What am I supposed to say to that?! Playing with the loose thread on the fabric of her uniform, she racked her brain for an excuse. "I...I haven't read it yet. I like to take my time in choosing a book that will be worth my energy."

She thought of the way she eagerly waited for Luciana to tell her fairytales, how she could picture everything so vividly through her words when she closed her eyes, the closest to living a different life she would ever have. "I like savouring the moments before a book is read, the excitement to be transported to a different world and wonder which character's life will become our own, something we would not otherwise have a chance to experience."

She hadn't realised she had trailed off a simple answer and into a passionate speech until only silence reigned at the end of it.

Lord Caldwell gazed at her with sudden focus. She shifted on her feet. Was he studying her? Or trying to decipher what she was saying? Did she make any sense at all? So many questions but none she could voice.

"Your view of it is fascinating," he finally said. "I must admit, I only read when boredom dares to choke me to death so I never thought of it in the way you have. As you seem to be the great wizard of all things literary, might you suggest me some books to be transportative as you have so eloquently stated?"

Belinha couldn't tell if he was joking or being serious. Still, the question made her doubt the answer she was to give.

Relax, Belinha. Tell him a story that Luciana's told you.

"It is not from a book but...have you ever heard of the tale of the cursed maiden?"

"I cannot say I have, but do share."

"It is quite gruesome, my lord, are you sure you would like to hear it?"

Lord Caldwell puffed his chest and straightened his cravat. "I don't have the best experience with gruesome tales, but it shan't bother me."

"You do not need to pretend to be brave, my lord," she said, attempting to hide a smile.

His brows shot up, forehead wrinkling. "We will see how long it lasts me and then you can draw your conclusion on my cowardice."