T H I R T Y - O N E

PHOENIX

Their heads snapped up at my words.

"She's not Human" They said simultaneously "She's a Lupine."

"According to these results, she has the same genetic make-up of a human." I told them candidly.

"We all did at one point" Atlas said, his body relaxing fractionally "That's what makes it so easy for us to blend in the Human world, as kids, if we needed too. Our DNA doesn't really change until we shift for the first time."

"That doesn't explain the bruises" Kass shook his head "Even though we start out with Human DNA, we still have the healing properties of Wolves intertwined within our cells."

Atlas' eye widened "Then that means..."

"She shouldn't have any bruises" I finished for him "She shouldn't even be in pain or sleeping as much as she does after Defense class."

"It should go away after she shifts right?" Atlas asked, anxiously looking between the both of us "Right?"

"She doesn't have a Wolf-" I started but was rudely interrupted.

"We don't know that" Kassian said sharply "Just like we don't know what the effects are for a Shifter who's been away from her Pack for nineteen years."

"She doesn't have a Wolf Kass" I said softly "And that's okay, she has three of them, Alphas no less, at her beck and call whenever she needs them. However, there is the little fact that if she gets hurt, then there's a chance that she could get seriously hurt...or worse."

"FUCK THAT!" Atlas jumped up from his seat "Pull her out of that class. NOW."

"She needs it" Kassian shook his head "It helps her build muscle and learn technique, something the other students are starting to notice that she is seriously lacking."

Atlas growled "If they think-"

"They won't do anything to her unless their a hundred percent sure she can't defend herself" I cut him off "And they'll only strike if they know they have at least some kind of consent from at least one Alpha."

"My Pack would never" Atlas barked "I'd kill them before they'd even tried."

"Neither would mine" Kass sent him a pointed look "But there is more than the three Alphas sitting in this room."

Their eyes shifted to mine and I raised a brow.

"If you think that..."

"We know you wouldn't hurt Nova" Atlas said, rolling his eyes "But we also know that you don't have one hundred percent control over your Pack yet."

"I have enough control to keep my Pack in line" I snapped "Tÿr only thinks he's in control. Which is exactly what I want him to think."

"You haven't swayed your elders yet Nix" Kass said softly, pity swimming in his eyes "They still favor Tÿr, as much as an ass he is, because they claim that he has something you don't."

"I don't know why they have any input" Atlas added in "It's obvious why they side with Tÿr."

I cocked my head to the side in a 'Go on' gesture.

"The Fenrir clan was once considered the most ruthless Wolves in history" he said "They killed and pillaged first and asked questions later. That the generation the Elders come from. They like Tÿr so much because he is a ruthless motherfucker who doesn't give two shits about anyone but himself. He'll kill anyone who stands in his way, which is exactly what the Elders want."