Chapter 1

Siya POV:

After the alarm went off four times, I finally woke up at 5 AM as I'm not a morning person and a heavy sleeper. It's 5 AM, and my college starts at 9. Before that, I need to make breakfast, prepare lunch ingredients, and clean the entire house.

I showered and got ready. If I make a small mistake in my work or if breakfast isn't ready on time, my stepmother and sister could get angry and hurt me. My wounds from before haven't healed, and I really don't want any new ones.

I'm Siya Sharma. I'm a bit clumsy, shy, and introverted. I'm in my second year of college, studying business. I work at a small cafe called "Loves & Doodles," where the owner is kind, and my pay covers my needs. I got scholarships in school and college, which helps since my dad hasn't been supportive since I was 5. My grandpa helped me after that, but he passed away when I was 8. I've been working two jobs since then, but now, with the scholarship, I've left one. My mom and Di treat me poorly, often beating me for small mistakes or when they're frustrated. My dad and brother don't know about this, and bhai(brother) has suggested I move out he take care of my expenses but I politely rejected because I learnt the hard the way not to use anyone's money. I'm saving money to eventually buy a small house and take a loan to start my own company it is a dream of mine. I eat once in a day with my own money as I am not allowed to eat in home.

My room is more like a storage space - no bed, just the floor where I sleep. I've got a small bag for my clothes, a mix of worn-out ones from my mom and Di, along with four or five new ones for college. Some I bought with my money, and bhai(brother) gave me a few. I've got a hand mirror and a small bathroom.

You might wonder why my dad hates me. It's because he believes that I'm responsible for my maa(mother) death. As for my Di(stepsister) being older, she's not my dad's biological daughter. My mom already had her when she married my dad, and he loves her like his own.

I cooked food for about 1 hours, and I also finished preparing lunch ingredients as I have to prepare lunch for my family in lunch break since I didn't have much time when I came house in lunch break. This way, when it was time to cook, things went faster.

I knocked on my dad's office door, and he told me to come in. "Dad, you want to talk about something?" I asked. "Sit," he said, and I sat down. "You are going to marry soon, and in a week or so, you have an engagement. They are coming tomorrow to see you. Don't mess it up; otherwise, you will face consequences," he said, and I was shocked. I gathered my thoughts and said, "Dad, I can't marry now. I have to focus on my studies, and I am too young for this. Please don't make me go through with it," I pleaded.

He threatened to take everything that belonged to my mom, and if I refused, he made it clear that college and leaving the house would be impossible. Feeling utterly helpless, I left the office, went to my room, and cried my heart out.

After washing my face, I sneaked out of the house because my mom and Di were in a bad mood, and I didn't want to get beaten. At college, I went through the day as usual-talking to friends and studying. When it was time to go cafe, my best friend Divya noticed something was off.

"Is everything okay? It seems like you've cried. Did those people do something to you? I swear I'd chop them into pieces and feed them to dogs. Well, actually, dogs probably wouldn't eat them, so I'd bury those people deep in the earth," she said angrily. "You don't have to face this alone. If those people are causing you trouble, we'll figure it out together. No one messes with my best friend and gets away with it." Divya continued.

"It's my dad, Divi. He said I'm going to marry soon, or they'll take away my mom's things and lock me in the room, not allowing me to go to college. I want to study, Divi. I'm too young to get married." Tomorrow they are coming to meet me, Divi, I said and tears welled up in my eyes.

Divya comforted me, saying, "Shush, Siya. Maybe this is your opportunity to get out of this hell. Maybe they are good people and will let you study. Just talk to them, get to know them.If they turn out to be like your parents, then we'll figure out a solution. we'll face this together, and we'll figure out the best way forward. You deserve a chance of a better life, and we'll find a way to make it happen, okay? You're not alone in this."

"Divi, give me your phone. I need to talk to bhai; he's on a business trip," I said, and she handed me her phone. In the second ring, he picked up, "Hello, cupcake. Aaj kaisa yaad aa gayi apna bhai ki(How did you remember your brother today?)," he said.

"Bhai,(brother)" I said, trying to sound normal. "What happened, cupcake? Tell me," he asked.

"Dad wants me to get married soon, bhai. I don't want to marry now; I have to study. Bhai(brother), please talk to dad," I pleaded.

"How can he do this to his own daughter? Princess, listen to me, okay? Don't worry; I'll talk to him. You will not marry, and I am coming tomorrow, okay, princess?" he assured.

"Please jaldi aane, bhai(come fast, brother)," I said.

"I am taking the first flight right now. Don't worry, okay? Bye," he said.

"I gotta go, Divi, or else I'll be late for work," I said. "Wait, I'll drop you, and don't you dare to say no," she replied.

After returning from work at 8, I started making dinner at home when my mom and Di arrived. "I can't believe you dare to snatch my man!" Di exclaimed. "I should be the one he marries, not you. I'm older, and I have to marry first. But you just snatch him from me, huh?" Di said, delivering a slap and kicking me in the stomach.

"Don't slap her, princess. Beat her where nobody can see," Mom said. "Mom," she replied. "Go to your room, princess, freshen up. I'll handle this bitch," she said. "Okay, make sure she pays for snatching my man," Di added before heading to her room.

"I suppose you believe marrying into rich family erases the fact that you're a bad omen. No one loves you, not even your soon-to-be husband and his family," she said, picking up a knife and making cuts on my thighs. She followed with beating me on the back with a belt."

"Don't you dare breathe a word about this. You know what happens when you try to tell your dad, and you also know nobody will believe you," she threatened as tears streamed down my face and left.

I cried and slowly stood up, it hurt badly. I washed my hands and face in the kitchen, then spent half an hour making dinner. Once it was ready, I placed it on the dining table and went to my room. Later, I went to the bathroom, cried in the shower, and after an hour, I came out, applied medicine, and went to sleep after lots of overthinking, tossing and turning.