Train II

Silence.

It was all silent.

Katniss staring a hole through the table, Percy with her head in her hands hunched over in her chair, Haymitch grim, Effie fanning her face.

"Why..." Percy whispered causing the three pairs of eyes to look at her. "Why did you do such a thing."

"I told yo--" "THAT'S NOT ENOUGH!!" Yelling.

Katniss was taken aback by the yelling but much more with tears streaking down the furious face looking at her.

"The goal was Haymitch and I! For you to stay out of this! TO stay home and you fucked it all up!!"

"Perc--" "No! Shut up! You've done enough already!" Standing with such force that the chair was send flying again the wall of the train. "You realize what this is right?! There is nothing to do anymore! It is either you, me or neither of us! We are up against victors Katniss! Another death match after almost dying to the previous one! You realize just how lucky we've been and you threw it all away! Just how stupid must you be?!!" And with that, she ran, slamming the wagons door behind her.

The awkward silence that came hurt more then being screamed at, knowing that in a way she deserved it more then she understood it.

She never wanted to make her cry and yet...

"I'll go see if I can be of use." Effie said, using the opportunity to leave too. "But I do advise you let her cool off before doing anything."

Click click click, and so off went the heels of Effie.

"You know." Haymitch said. "You don't deserve her at all."

Haymitch said to the silent victor.

"Not five minutes after that was announced she was begging me to volunteer if your name got called on that stage, down on her knees like nothing else mattered. She didn't care for herself, only you. We had a plan as she said, her and me. And you messed it all up."

"But..."

"If you are going to ask me 'but why' then you are truly blind." Haymitch stood, going to get the alcohol from another wagon. "While you live in a lie, she really does love you and I am starting to wonder why, must not be for your brain power."

"What?"

"Is it truly that much of a surprise? Can you not tell how her gaze falls each time to bring up that this is an act? Or when you proposed this fake marriage how her heart break? How she always is placing with the ring as if it is burning her. All that she did for you. Took for you. Are you aware just what it took to stand up from that river bank and drag herself up to find you when two possible victors were announced. Trust me sweetheart, I am old enough to know what that black ring means, both of us live in the past and honestly. So either stop looking to her each time something goes wrong and expect her to fix it or do something about it... Out of you two, I'd say her brother cared about her more honestly then you ever did."

Katniss was not used to Haymitch talking to her or anyone that day so the words struck hard.

And so Katniss was left alone with her damning thoughts.

---------------------------------------

Why why why?!

Why couldn't she just let it happen?

That stupid girl!

"Fuck off!" She yelled at the knock on the door but it still opened since it was a sliding door with no locks.

"Oh Percy." Out of the two it was Effie? Seriously? What did she want?

The sight was not a welcome one.

There was not much to break in the train but what there was had been mistreated: Bed with its blankets and pillows over the room, one of them probably ripped because there were feathers around the ground, the night table probably thrown across the room if it laying by the wall and the intend meant something, the few books in all corners of the room, the desk was made of plywood thickness fake wood, having a hole through the surface and the mirror shatters with a slash on the left knuckles of her glove with blood seeping out.

Probably not looking better either, she's sure her eyes are a nice red with drying and new tear stains, her hair must be a rat's nest from how she pulled and ran her hands through it.

"What do you want?! I don't care for your morals Effie!" Throwing her hands out in a 'leave' gesture with quite some violence behind it.

"I have been told you don't like being touched." She said, almost completely different from what she should have said in this situation. "But everyone needs a hug once in a while?" Open and inviting arms.

It took a long second for Percy to melt with a choked back sob, like a little kid, like she always wished, almost running in the safe arms meant to protect her.

"This can't be happening." She sobbed into her outfit, almost ripping into the fabric with her hands. But the costly orange outfit didn't matter. "Why? Why did she need to volunteer."

"I don't know dear. I don't know." Effie would have pat her back or something but she didn't, not knowing how far she could go before having a complete freak out for overstepping limits she only now heard off from Haymitch.

-------------------------------------

Haymitch took his time to check up on Percy, more in the know then Effie so not stupid enough to unconsciously risk his safety by going there right away.

He did eat dinner with Katniss and tell her goodnight before heading over.

"Ssh, she needs rest."

That was the least yeah, looking around the mess of a room.

Percy had passed out from so amount of crying, laying on the semblance of a ball on the ground, Effie kind of forcefully becoming a pillow but she didn't care, it was just like a cat, it falls asleep on your legs and you can't move, it was the same here.

And despite it all she was still crying in her sleep.

"I can see it... Want something?"

"A book and a drink would be appreciated." Effie said, running her hand through the blond's hair even if it would be of no comfort.

"Right." He left at that.

Oh course he knew the story, he witnessed it on TV, how the genius Artemis Loras turned into a monster for all to see and how she turned out to be, having heard the retelling of her outburst in the square of 12, having a few more brain cells then people think and experience, being old, he put it all together easily.

She was a damaged girl clinging to all forms of love she could find, even if it was one sided or wrong, Katniss and Artemis both being that tether to love even if they both have an extreme difference between them... But what was the same between them two was that they entered the arena with Percy knowing they aren't coming out of it.

For Percy, for this child, for this hurt child, the dice were already played and she had already lost who she loved once again.

For Percy, Katniss had already died.

(Katniss needed a little wakeup call so yeah, she got a harsh one.)