38-39

38.Empress

"This servant greets XiaoJie." The two women immediately stood up when they saw XuanRong walking towards them.

When XuanRong saw the younger version of YuShen and YuShang curtsying in front of her, she could not help but be tearful. YuShen and YuShang were both beheaded together with the Chen family. One of the greatest regrets XuanRong had in her previous lifetime was sending both YuShen and YuShang away. When her maternal family was labeled as traitors, she offered both of them to comeback with her at the Prime Minister's residence. Unfortunately, both YuShang and YuShen declined, saying that they were both raised in Chen family and ChenFu[1] was their home. They were not ingrates who would bask in the glory of their master and then flee once disaster comes.

"Stand up. No need to curtsy. YuShang, YuShen, I am both glad that you came. Sending you away was the biggest mistake I made. I hope you will forgive me for my past decision."

Hearing XuanRong's remorse, the two maidservants' eyes went red. YuShen shook her head and said, "This servant understands XiaoJie. This servant was only glad that XioaJie decided to call us again and was allowed serve you."

XuanRong's expression turned gentle. She wanted to raise her hand and pat YuShen's head, but she hesitated. Finally, after wavering for a second, resolve was seen inside her eyes. If she could not control herself, how could she cure her illness? She would not get any results if she would only cower in the corner. XuanRong moved her hand, putting it above YuShen's head and patting it slowly. It took her a great effort to suppress the disgust and rejection inside her heart. Although, she wanted to immediately pull her hand away because she was feeling sick, she was happy that she was able to touch other people without puking.

YuShen was startled when she felt the hand on her head, patting it in a slow rhythm. She felt like XuanRong was treating her like a child. It was quite funny thinking that she was four years older than her XiaoJie.

XuanRong pulled her hand and sat on the opposite chair placed in front of the table. She inwardly exhaled, trying to calm herself. When they saw XuanRong sat on the chair, how could YuShen and YuShang return from sitting? Both of them remained standing beside XuanRong, not planning to once again sit on the chair.

XuanRong noticed their action. She wanted to speak and tell them that she wanted both of them to sit with her, but she could not open her mouth. The disgust she felt intensified and she knew, once she opens her mouth to speak, she would definitely puke in front of them.

Luckily, YuYing arrived, carrying another batch of refreshments. XuanRong immediately gulp down a large quantity of chrysanthemum tea, suppressing the urge to vomit.

After successfully calming herself, XuanRong enjoyed dinking the tea while watching YuYing interact with YuShen and YuShang.

"XiaoJie, I am glad that Shen-jiejie and Shang'er are back!" YuYing happily squealed in delight.

XuanRong nodded and smiled. She was also happy that they were now together. If YuLi did not betray her.... XuanRong shook her head. She should not think of the past and instead strive hard for the future. YuLi wasted the chance she gave to her. It was already too late since she had already been taken away by King Yama[2].

Taking a deep breath, XuanRong opened her mouth to ask YuShen.

"Did maternal grandfather send someone together with you? Where is that person?"

YuShen and YuShang stared at each other.

"Yes. This servant and YuShang traveled with someone. He is Old Master's trusted shadow guard and this servant's master[3]."