27|unshackled

"HELLO, MY ROSE," Coriolanus greets

This is the most luxuriously set up dinner Pearl has ever seen. In all of the time she's been forced to dine with Coriolanus, he's never decorated so elegantly.

The only thing she can smell is the scent of roses, and the candles illuminate Coriolanus's face as he rises from his seat.

She turns to observe everything in the room, and has to admit that it's beautiful. Everything is beautiful here for a second when you forget that you're in the Capitol that is responsible for murdering millions.

"Hi Coryo."

Pearl has become accustomed to pretending.

Without any warning at all, Coriolanus falls down onto his knees. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a shining black box. When it opens, the gleaming of the ring blinds Pearl.

A single Pearl rests in the middle of a gold ring adorned with diamonds around the curve. Pearl feels her heart racing as she takes in the fact that Coriolanus Snow is proposing to her.

A sick smirk rests on his face, knowing that if she says no she might suffer a worse fate than being married to him.

It's a horrible thing to love someone that you absolutely do not want to love. Pearl feels the disgust rising in her chest, while her eyes betray her.

She's admiring the ring and the proposal while also trying to plan her escape. How can she try and use her dagger now?!

Pearl looks at the door, hoping that anyone will walk in and be her saving grace. She is at a loss for words. "Coriolanus..."

"Will you marry me, my rose?"

It can't be a coincidence that he's doing this right before the Hunger Games. Pearl cannot spend the rest of her life being trapped as his bride.

He scoffs. "Do you not love me?"

"I do, it's just..."

Pearl begins to back up, her hand reaching behind her to try and twist the knob. It won't open. How is the door locked when she walked in just fine?

Coriolanus sighs and drops the ring on the table. "I had a feeling you'd do this."

"I give you everything, including the opportunity to be my lovely bride. But you are still stuck on the ideas of rebellion and freedom. You weren't truly free as soon as you entered that arena. And may I remind you, you signed a contract."