chapter 17

the 10 minute walk to the bus stop felt like 10 years.

ash kept convincing us to press on and that the journey was worth it. sal and larry were exhausted by the time we had gotten there. todd was just... there.

once we all sat down on the bench at the stop, everyone was catching their breath and wiping off sweat.

"fuck.. my shit lung capacity cannot handle this." ash complained.

"it was your idea, idiot!" larry rolled his eyes at her.

ash and larry had been going back and forth nonstop over literally nothing. honestly, being at a bus stop for the first time in a bit was weird. it made me sort of uncomfortable, for some reason. while waiting for the bus, i began to tune out their arguing and let my mind wander.

• • •

"what the fuck is there to explain, adrian?"

he rolled his eyes. "if you weren't acting like a crazy bitch right now then maybe i would have the fucking chance to explain it!"

unfortunately i ran into adrian at the bus stop.

all i wanted was to go home, take care of my dad, eat dinner, and sleep. but right as we made eye contact, he grabbed my wrist and tried to "talk it out." it obviously wasn't going well.

i scoffed at him. "so you're saying if you saw a picture of me kissing theo, you would just be okay with it? you wouldn't turn into a 'crazy bitch' too?"

"listen.. i just-" he stopped and exhaled. "i've just known cassie a whole lot longer. she gets me, okay? one day we were drinking a bit and we... i don't know, she kissed me. it just happened."

my jaw clenched. "cute nickname."

he rolled his eyes. "jesus, y/n. this isn't a fuckin' fairytale where we would last forever."

i laughed at him. "you were the one that asked me out in the first place! how am i supposed to think that when you acted like you were so fucking in love with me. are you actually fucking stupid?"

"i'm not fucking stupid because i'm not frying my brain cells by getting high every day! you would choose weed over anyone! why would i ever want someone like that?!"

"fuck you. you skip all your classes and barely know your times tables."

"and somehow i'm still on honor roll." he smirked proudly.

"why don't you shut the hell up before i cut your fucking throat and watch the honor roll out?"

he scoffed. "you know what, y/n? just fucking go. this isn't going anywhere. we are finished." adrian walked past and shouldered me. he then whispered something in my ear. "not my fault someone like you was so hard to love."

i didn't look back when he walked past me. i stood there like an idiot. the passersby that had seen what happened avoided eye contact and pretended not to snoop. i felt like i was suffocating. a lump formed in my throat and tears pricked my eyes.

i didn't want to start sobbing in public. i quickly started to walk forward towards the next bus stop to get home. ashamedly, i had silently let the tears roll down my face as i sat on the bench, waiting for the bus.

• • •

i jumped at the tap on my shoulder. i looked over at sal.

"sorry, didn't mean to scare you. the bus is here."