Chapter 18 - "Want to get out of here?"

"So, when is the next escape room?" Ash asked.

"Next..." Melanie started to say, but was quickly cut off.

"No, no, no," Troy laughed as he tried to casually push Melanie aside. "We haven't nailed down the date for the next escape room, but don't worry. I have your numbers. I'll call you once we pick a date."

Ash smiled and hoped it looked reassured rather than knowing. Troy wouldn't call. They already had the next three escape rooms on the books, Ash had seen it when they had checked in upon arrival, but she wasn't going to say so.

"Great. We'll wait to hear from you," she said.

Troy's shoulders relaxed and the smile he gave her was genuinely happy. Ash wasn't surprised. The moment the escape room door had closed and they had been locked inside, Troy had appointed himself as leader as he had read out the first clue and directed the conversation. Ash had sat back to watch how the group would work, and Zach had followed suit.

It took the group ten minutes to figure out the first clue under Troy's lead. Ash had figured it out in two minutes. Zach didn't say so, but Ash assumed he had figured it out even faster than she had. They continued to sit back and watch while the group worked on the second clue. It took the group even longer to figure out that one, and within that time Ash realized escape rooms were not for her.

When she let out a deep sigh upon making her realization, Zach asked, "Want to get out of here?"

"Isn't that what we are all trying to do?" she joked.

"That is what they are trying to do," he said, nodding to the group huddled around Troy and the second clue. "You're just sitting here."

She glanced down at her watch. "Should we time ourselves?"

When they had opened the door twenty-five minutes later the employee had sat there in stunned silence, looking from the clock to the door and back to the clock. Zach and Ash had cut the escape room record in half.

"I have a sneaking suspicion that he won't call," Ash said under her breath as Zach and she waved goodbye to Troy and the group leaving.

"I think he already lost our numbers," Zach said.

Ash laughed. "So...Escape rooms?"

"Not for me."

"Same. We are getting more efficient," she said, checking the time. "That took us less than an hour."

She had meant it as a good thing, but as she thought about the reality of it, she realized that their efficiency only meant she now had to figure out how to spend the rest of her night. There was always homework but her empty room didn't sound inviting.

"Want to grab some food?" she asked before she could think about it. "I think there's a basketball game tonight. We could go to the bar."

Zach remained quiet for a moment before he said, "I could go for a side of nacho cheese."

"Nacho cheese it is!" she cheered as she led the way to the bar.

She had been right. There was a basketball game but it was a home game so all the devoted fans were at the college's arena for the game. The bar was only half full of students who didn't care about basketball.

Zach and Ash sat at their usual back corner table but Ash knew a full scope of the bar wasn't necessary since there weren't that many people there. On the upside, it didn't take Sherry long to come over for their orders. Ash was surprised when Zach joined her in ordering a side of nacho cheese only.

"Only nacho cheese tonight?" she asked.

He shrugged. "The budget's a little tight this month."

Ash studied his face, trying to figure out if he was being honest or making a joke. As usual, she had no idea.