Chapter 4

Halfway through Monday's practice, and I now realized the difference between getting to play behind the starting offensive line and the backup unit, especially the protection they provided against the second-string defense. Those big guys formed a barrier that wasn't easily penetrated by the defenders, anchored by Koby in the center of the line. Also, it was nice to get to throw the ball to Blake. He didn't take part in the coach's fitness program, but he still blew past the second-string defensive backs and left them lagging when he made the cuts on his pass routes. Blake had natural talent and explosive speed. He was born with that ability, but I wasn't. I would blame that deficiency on my dad's genes, or lack thereof, but he left town when I was little, not wanting to be a responsible adult, according to my mom.

Of course, playing with the first-string offense didn't correct my stance or make my throwing arm any stronger. To make matters more complicated, Lexa Thorn and the rest of the cheerleaders had gathered on the sideline beyond the running track to go over their cheers. Their rhymes rose above the grunts and wallops I heard when a football player made a tackle or dove for the ball. I could even pick out Lexa's voice among the girls, and couldn't deny the effect it had on me, like music to my ears, or like a siren or mermaid luring a lonely soul into their waiting arms. I tried to ignore it because I had to concentrate on football, or else I might find myself watching Finn playing quarterback instead of me.

Coach Diggs, the offensive coordinator, stood in shorts and a polo shirt with a whistle around his neck. "Your stance begins when you drop back to pass. You need to have your feet evenly spaced as you move backwards, one step after another. It's a rhythm. And when you reach the end of your drop back, plant your feet with your body sideways. Be sure to bounce on the balls of your feet, keeping track of how long you've held the ball as you survey the field for an open receiver. You can't hold on to it too long, or a d-lineman is gonna get to you. Got it?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Let's try that play again."

As we would in a game, everyone lined up in their places, me five yards behind the center in shotgun formation. On my cue, Koby would hunker down over the ball and snap it to me from between his legs. Since I was standing behind him, the ball would fly right to me, and the play would begin. Now off to the side, Coach Diggs used hand signals to relay the play to us while the head coach, Coach Steele, roamed about, watching it unfold like a hawk. After getting the orders, I called out the formation and the reads to my teammates, and as I glanced toward the other sideline, I saw Lexa had taken notice and turned my way to watch the play, the other cheerleaders following suit. With the receivers and running backs lined up, and feeling the heat from my dream girl's stare, I slapped my hands twice, and Koby snapped the ball to me.

I caught it, and the play was live, pads popping as I dropped back to pass. The offensive line held firm, each player getting their blocks, but a sneaky linebacker blitzed a gap and stormed toward me. I sidestepped him and ducked under his outstretched arm. He went right by me as I spotted Blake breaking free on a corner route. After sprinting thirty yards downfield, he had angled to the right, going deeper, toward the corner of the end-zone.

The timing had to be right.

I waited for a second or two more, then hurled the ball, watching it sail through the air. I thought I had timed it right, but the ball caught wind and came up short. Blake had to come back to it, but he couldn't slow his forward momentum fast enough. Disappointingly, the ball hit the ground short of him, missing the mark. An incomplete pass, which drew a glare from Coach Steele. After the play, he leaned in close to Coach Diggs and whispered something. Probably: No wonder this kid hadn't started a game in his high school career.

My chin dropped, and I turned my head in time to see Lexa look away, focusing again on leading the cheer squad. Guess her interest in me had faded before it could burn bright.