Origins

"I just can't take it anymore," the girl wrote. "I won't. I'm so tired."

Setting her pen down one last time, the young girl, with shaky hands, carefully picked the gun up. Her eyes, too blurred from the tears, left her unable to see anything but the firearm.

Suddenly she was terrified. Not of the gun, but of how fast it could end her, or anyone's, life.

Taking a deep breath, her final one, she couldn't help but think about how she'd gotten to this point. And as she did, as she thought about her parents, she pulled the trigger.

The torture and abuse that she had endured would finally end, that's what she thought anyway, that's what she'd hoped.

The girl's breath hitched as she heard the sound, the god-awful ringing. Along with the ringing, she felt a sharp pain that lasted only a second.

Everything seemed to slow down in that moment as she pondered, "Why am I still here? Did I miss?"

Quickly removing the gun from her face, the girl began inspecting it. The bullet was missing from the chamber. Searching around, she eventually found the missing bullet. It was on the ground, bloody and in poor condition indicating that it had in fact been used.

"God.. I can't do anything right." she choked as more tears fell.

Despite the cries though, Y/n felt a small hint of relief wash over her.

————

"Behind me is a brutal scene showcasing just how bad it's gotten in Gotham. A man and woman have just been found murdered in their home..."

"I'm not implying anything, Miss. I just find it odd that you-"

"Have a gun?! We live in Gotham, officer." the girl retorted, seeing no need for further explanation.

"Alright listen," he placed his hand on her shoulder, plastering a friendly expression on his face, "We all know how your parents were, if you did something-"

"That's enough!" another cop interrupted, hurriedly stomping his way over.

"Sergeant Gordon, I was just-"

"Interrogating the daughter of two murder victims?! Treating her like a goddamn suspect!" he shouted, dragging him away so the two could speak in private.

"She's hardly innocent, she has a gun!" he spat.

"Everyone in Gotham does, that's not enough to go on."

"All do respect, sir, we have a homicide case with no witnesses, no murder weapon, and no suspects. The only thing we do have are bullets holes with no goddamn bullets! I'm thinking she has them hung up on her walls like trophies." he whispered the last bit, though the girl heard, everyone did.

The officer then continued before Gordon could get a word in, "Finding out that she bought a gun right before her parents were murdered is enough for me."

"Just get me a warrant. If I don't find anything at her place, I'll let it go," he finished.

"I'm not hiding anything!" The girl spoke up, walking over.

"Then you won't mind if we have a look," the officer crossed his arms.

The officers and James Gordon began searching her home, top to bottom, not letting any corner go unchecked.

Just as they were about ready to give up, one of them stumbled upon her note around the same time another officer found her bullet.

"A murder weapon, a written confession and a bullet. We got her, boys!" the officer shouted as he held all three in his hands.

"That's not what-"

She paused as Sergeant Gordon began cuffing her, "You have the right to remain silent, ma'am. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law,"

Tears rushed down the girl's face as she tried explaining herself. Nothing but chokes and sobs came out.

"You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you," he finished, dragging her away.