Closer (to the Truth)

Since learning about each others secrets, Jonathan and I have grown so much closer.

Jonathan and I have been discussing ways to begin experimenting with my ability. He figured out how it was triggered; I, while hurting myself, need to think about hurting someone else.

"Really? That's it? I was expecting it to be a lot more complicated."

"It's a good thing, Harley. Now learning how to control it's gonna be a lot easier."

"Then we can use it to escape.." Ivy added, her annoyance with Arkham written all over her face, "Right?"

"Sure," I told the girl, taking my lollipop out of my mouth. I internally smiled thinking about how I got it.

"Sure?" she questioned, unsatisfied with my unenthusiastic response.

"Yes, Ivy!" I exclaimed sarcastically, "We can use my ability to escape once I've got better control over it."

"Do you not want to escape?" she replied, confusion evident on her face.

"Of course I do," I said, avoiding eye contact with the girl, "I just-"

"She's worried about leaving the doctor here all by himself," Harley finished for me.

Before Ivy could let out any remarks or insults about the situation, a loud crash echoed. We all turned our heads to the source of the noise seeing Jade, looking worse than ever. A nurse was standing next to her, picking up the plate of food she had just threw.

"Jade," the nurse started, "You need to eat."

"S- Scarecrow," Jade simply stuttered, her face pale and her eyes bulging.

"Cuckoo," Harley joked, before turning back to Ivy and I.

"So," she grinned, "back to the doc."

Ivy huffed in annoyance, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

"Harley.." I blushed.

"He is such a gentlemen, Red! You shoulda seen it."

"I'm glad I didn't," the ginger gagged.

Her attention then shifted, "I'll finally be able to see my babies again."

"Mhm," I hummed.

"You were all for escaping last time we talked about it, Y/n," the ginger sighed, "What changed?"

"And don't say this is about Crane," she added, "You can't possibly be considering staying here for him."

In the corner of my eye, I saw a figure walking towards the three of us and I internally groaned,

"Your b- boyfriend," the girl stammered, before collapsing.

"Oooh," Harley spoke, hitting the top of her head, "Duh!"

A couple of nurses ran to the girl, helping her up and I turned to Harley, "Huh?"

"He did it for you," Harley smiled. "You know that, right?"

"What are you talking about, Harley?"

"I bet it took a lot of convincing to make the Scarecrow give him a stronger one," Harley continued, watching the nurses help Jade.

"A stronger what?" I asked, before deciding to jump to conclusions.

"A stronger fear toxin," she answered simply, "The others ones Crane used weren't this good."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked the girl, growing annoyed with her vagueness.

"Harley," Ivy whispered, "Does she not know?"

"Know what?"

"I thought she did," Harley frowned, "I'm sorry, Button."

"What don't I know?!"

"About Crane's experiments," Harley sighed, "I thought you knew he was testing out fear toxins for Scarecrow."

————

During our session, I decided to confront Jonathan about what Harley told me. Though I was confused and angry the doctor didn't tell me, I wanted to hear it from him and give him a chance to explain himself.

"Are you experimenting on patients here?" I asked Jonathan, not even waiting till he took his seat, and not sitting down myself. "With Scarecrow's fear toxins," I clarified.

A look of shock took over his face and he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, "Y/n.." he sighed.

"Answer the question, Jonathan."

"Yes," he admitted, "I am."

I took a step back as he began walking towards me, "What did you do to Jade?" I asked him, my stomach churning at the thought.

"Only what she deserved," he answered with a soft smile before walking closer.

"How did she deserve that?" I questioned; sure she was a bitch but she didn't deserve that, no one does.

"Jade hurt you, Y/n."

"She pushed me," I corrected.

"She stabbed you."

"No she didn't," my brows furrowed.

"You don't really think she stabbed herself, do you?"

"I was there, Y/n," Jonathan sighed, "She stabbed you."

"Wha- You saw?!" I spat, "And you didn't do anything?! You didn't say anything?!

"You were fine, Y/n, you wouldn't have been hurt."

"You didn't know that then!" I shouted, "Tell me you didn't stand there and do nothing when she stabbed me, Jonathan."

"I didn't," he retracted. "I didn't see anything, I just assumed that's what happened." "After we learned about your ability, after you told me," he continued.

My eyes widened, "Are you lying to me?" I asked him.

"No, I'm not," Jonathan replied, backing me into a wall.

"I would never," he then added, brushing hair out of my reddened face.

"How do I know I can trust you, Jonathan?" I breathed heavily.

"You don't," he smiled, leaning into my ear, "But you will, because you like me."

My eyes widened, heart pounding.

"Tell me I'm wrong," he challenged with a cocky smirk, as his right hand held my chin and the left slithered down my back.

His touch caused a quiet gasp to escape my lips; It was so quiet I was sure he didn't hear it, but the look on his face said he did.

Shivers ran down my spine as his hand traveled further and further, before stopping at my waist.

"Jonathan.." I quietly groaned.

"I'll stop," he leaned in, his lips barely an inch away from mine, "Just say the word."

"And if I don't..?" I boldly asked, hoping for my question to be answered with something more than his voice.

"Well.." Jonathan started, "I'll just have to.." and without saying another word, he brought his lips to mine, and kissed me.

Needing to be closer to my doctor, I pulled him further in and melted into the kiss.