Prologue

Alyssa Van Every, frowned fiercely at her older brother, Alexander, intending to challenge him and his arrogant demeanour. Alexander Van Every, six years her senior, was a rich restaurateur who's primary purpose in life was to protect his sister from all the males in the universe! As a result, she usually objected to his methods, and whenever he was there, the mood was tense.

"You won't be attending the wedding, Alyssa, and that's final." Alyssa glared at him, her eyes flashing and rebellious. This time it was her close friend, Sienna's wedding and she refused to bow down to her brother's wishes. In her mind, a plan to flee began to take shape. It was pointless to fight him since he would never listen. It was different when she was younger, but at twenty-two, she no longer required his assistance or permission.

"Alex, what's the big deal? I don't stop you from doing anything, and neither do our parents. So why does it always have to be me? What complications can arise if I attend Sienna's wedding?" Alex punched the nearest wall, forcing the paint to chip off, but it didn't frighten her. She was used to his rage. He has always been short-tempered.

"I don't want you hanging out with the Donnelly brothers, Alyssa. They are our sworn enemies!" he snarled, his eyes daring her to defy him. Anger welled up within her, and she refused to be intimidated by her brother.

"They may be your sworn enemies, Alex, not mine. I will do what my heart desires." Alyssa tossed her waist-long golden hair and walked out of her brother's penthouse, leaving him fuming after her. She took the elevator to her three-bedroom apartment on the fourth floor of the same building. It belonged to her stepdad, Daniel Van Every, whom she despised with all her heart.

Despite the fact that Alyssa's friends, Eva, Sienna, Hayley, and Skylar, were all career-focused and worked at renowned companies, she was the only one who had no career objectives. It didn't bother her in the least. She continued to enjoy her life after somehow graduating in finance, with no rush to find work. Being born with a golden spoon, Alyssa didn't need to earn a living. Her stepdad wanted to hand over the reins of his finance company to her after her brother rejected it. However, she was disinterested, preferring to splurge his money on a luxurious lifestyle instead. Everyone was sick of her ways, but parties, friends, clubs, and weddings were everything to Alyssa. She didn't have time to think about anything other than her own pleasure.

She rang the doorbell, and her friend Eva opened it with an inquisitive look on her face. "What happened? What did he say?" Alyssa groaned and collapsed onto a couch, knowing there was just one way out. To sneak out while Alex was at work!

"You know what he's capable of saying! He doesn't want me to go, and I'm sure he won't let you." Alyssa rolled her eyes, knowing how whipped her brother was with Eva, even though he'd rather die than admit it.

"Why should he be concerned about me? I'll definitely attend it." Eva walked to her room to pack, while Alyssa followed her to discuss their escape plans.

"I'm not sure what Alex has against Lucas Donnelly and his brothers, but I will definitely attend Sienna's wedding. So, let's sneak out tomorrow when he's away. What do you think?" Eva gaped at her friend and her eyes widened, realizing what they were about to do.

"What if Alexander follows us there and creates trouble for Sienna?"

"We'll deal with it when it happens." Eva didn't say anything else, knowing full well what enraging Alexander Van Every entailed, but Alyssa was no less obstinate. So, sighing, she continued to pack. Alyssa had completed her packing, and the two girls prepared dinner while they waited for Alexander to storm into their apartment and continue to convince them.

Alyssa knew Alexander would complain to her stepdad if he couldn't persuade her. It had been the norm since the day she was born. Her parents had always favoured him and often compared her to him. It angered Alyssa, and she resolved to be the polar opposite of her brother. He was her father's favourite, and only after he refused to take over the firm did her father consider her as his last option. It enraged her, so she went out of her way to prove how worthless she was, further annoying her stepdad.