𝖅𝖜𝖊𝖎𝖚𝖓𝖉𝖟𝖜𝖆𝖓𝖟𝖎𝖌: Legends of the Sea

As fast as an arrow, she dashed through the waters, her azure fins speeding to his rescue. With great force, she buried her claws in the male nixie's back, slashing the algae-green skin until thin filaments of blood spread like a veil, ripping out pieces of flesh.

Surprise stealth attacks had always been her specialty as far as she remembered.

While the male cried out in agony, he let go of the human, giving her the opportunity to successfully free the barely conscious policeman from N's grasp. She swooped him up, one of his arms thrown over her shoulder, as she made her way through the cold to the surface.

Even though she most certainly possessed more strength than a normal human female, Henning's limp body was still heavier than she had initially expected. To drag him up, she tensed her muscles, her tail cutting through bodies of waters.

Whatever the cost, she wouldn't let Henning die. Going the extra mile was nothing in exchange for being able to save his life.

The nixie surfaced, her favorite human in tow. Carefully, she heaved him atop the pier, next to the journalist. Along the wooden stakes, she hastily snaked her way up, crawling onto the rough surface, seating herself next to the two men.

It had been a while – approximately 90 years - since she had been able to move in her true form. Walking on two human legs was a completely different experience than maneuvering and balancing a heavy bottom half with fins. Although the latter form came as part of her nature, she had to admit, a pair of womanly legs were not only aesthetically more pleasing, but served to be a great asset to conduct various activities like climbing or, her personal favorite, dancing.

Seated on the platform, Fräulein gently brushed a few of his wet, dark-blonde hair strands out of his face, letting her cold fingers run through his contours, top to bottom: eyes, cheekbones, chin. She couldn't help but chuckle. Even unconscious, Henning's expression remained as grumpy as ever. She had the hunch that even in the future nothing was ever gonna change that.

And if it did, too bad she would never witness it. She'd always thought a faint smile on his lips would suit him well once he'd allow it.

It didn't take N long to disturb her daydreaming. From the waters he emerged, splitting it in small waves. Anger was written across his face, his royal blue orbs emitted sparks.

"Traitor!" he hissed, a hand rubbing across his shoulder, the place where she had slit his leathery skin.

"Traitor? You tricked me!" she snarled, bearing her fangs at him. "You promised to let them be if I went with you!"

"If you really believed that, you're either naive or just plain dumb," he retorted, shaking his head in disappointment, "Since when have you become this soft? Those are the people who have almost eradicated our kind and you're here protecting them!"

"I read about it in the history books," she admitted. Having fallen in deep slumber in 1928, it appeared she had missed quite the tragedy. Bombs truly were one of mankind's most terrifying invention. "The people alive right now have nothing to do with this!"

"It doesn't matter. They're not one of us. We don't mix. Ruven and Isa were proof of that. Father Rhine says so himself. Do you really intend to ignore his orders again like you did all this time, while pretending to play human?"

Isa. She bit her tongue. Growing up, they had been like sisters. The Bavarian nixie's departure with Ruven still felt like it had only happened yesterday, the wound the dagger of betrayal caused ran deep in her heart.

"I never pretended to be a human. I lost my memory and forgot I wasn't one. If you had never told me of my true nature, I never would have noticed," she spoke.