Chapter twenty-six

Five months ago

Five months ago

"You know my dad isn't gonna let you keep your job here if you spend half of the day talking to me" I giggle, swinging my legs back and forth from the kitchen counter.

"Can you blame me?" jj replies, his lips curving into a cheeky grin as he leans his hands on the counter by my thighs.

"Shut up" I chuckle quietly while rolling my eyes and kicking his leg playfully.

"Make me" He murmurs, his grin changing into a smirk as he speaks.

"Yeah you wish" I giggle.

"Damn right I do" he chuckles as he moves his body closer to mine.

I feel as one of his hands move from the marble counter to my bare knee, his thumb caressing over the skin gently.

I feel myself become a little flustered under his touch, just able to meet his eyes as my cheeks burn and stomach does flips.

I watch as his gaze flickers over my face, like he's taking in every single detail, admiring me like a piece of art.

I see his eyes trails down to my lips for a moment, causing butterflies to erupt inside of me and cheeks grow pinker by the second.

I'm met with his sapphire blue eyes once again as his face inches closer to mine.

Just as I feel his warm breath hit my lips and my eyes begin to flutter shut, the sound of the front door opening then closing rattles through the house, startling both of us.

He jumps back and takes a shaky breath, running a hand through his blonde hair before moving away from me a little more.

The sound of muffled chatter is heard from the hallway, growing louder as whoever is there approaches.

"Annie?" I hear my dad call out.

"In here" I yell back.

Moments later my dad emerges into the kitchen with Ward... and Rafe.

Great.

My face drops as Rafe walks in, as if I don't see him enough, now he's in my home.

The past month I have quite literally been forced into spending time with the asshole. Impromptu dinners at the Cameron's, days out at the country club, you name it.