Energy Bender?

Alf crept down the narrow hallway, feeling the white walls and glowing ceiling closing in around him. As he approached a split in the path, he turned to Drake for direction.

"Which way?" Alf asked, his voice echoing in the claustrophobic space.

"King Delavarian said the next floor is on the other side," Drakovian replied. "So, straight ahead."

Alf glanced at the princess, hoping for a second opinion. "Doesn't matter," she said with a shrug.

Despite his misgivings, Alf continued on with his channeled shield and burning phoenix hovering in front of him. However, as he proceeded, the hallway began to narrow until his shoulders started brushing the walls, and he stopped in his tracks.

"Ah, guys," he muttered, his voice low with concern. "Is it just me, or are the walls moving?"

"Yea, they do that," Rinnia replied, her chin-length black hair fluttering in a sudden breeze.

A split-second later, Zaphaniea reached overtop Drake and yanked Rex closer, causing him to step on the prince.

"Ouch," the prince hissed, glaring up at her as he pushed himself away from Rex's feet.

Suddenly, one of the walls behind them pivoted and slammed into the place where Rex had been standing, blocking off the way back. At the same time, the walls in front of them shifted, opening a new passageway to the left while sealing off the one ahead.

"Oh, I don't like that," Rex exclaimed, staring at the wall where he'd just been standing. "Not one bit."

"Neither do I," Olivia agreed, moving closer to Valarinnia so those behind her had more room.

Rinnia gritted her teeth. "Tell me about it," she spat, kicking the wall. "And they'll keep doing that until they lead us into an ambush."

Drake massaged his bruised heels. "So why didn't you warn us before?" he grumbled.

"I was hoping your spells would stop it," she said, pointing at Olivia's glowing ice crystal which was emitting a jamming signal.

"I see," Drake conceded. The harsh light of the maze highlighted the black patch covering his dragon eye as he scanned the area. "The machines or magic that control this place must be hardwired." He turned to Alf, "It seems stealth is not an option."

"Well, if the walls can move," Alf offered, "why not just destroy them?"

"Because, like my dad explained, earth magic doesn't work in here," the princess said.

The sound of metal leaving its sheath echoed in the narrow hallway. "Earth magic isn't the only way to move a wall," Rex answered, pulling his sword from its scabbard.

"My thoughts exactly," Alf said. Turning to the new wall that blocked their path, he pulled his fist back and punched.

SCREEEECH!

The metal wall wailed as his burning phoenix slammed into it, and the shield shattered, releasing the fireball inside.

Boom!

A muffled explosion rang out, and as the fireball flashed, the metal wall bent like day-old tissue paper, then ripped out of the floor and went flying down the newly revealed hallway.

Alf smiled. "See, problem solved."

"Uh, nooo. Not exactly!" Zaphaniea exclaimed, her eyes glowing gold and orange at the same time. "SHIELD, NOW!" she shouted, spreading her fingers and bringing up her hands.

Suddenly, an alarm sounded. The ceiling pulled back, and dozens of fist-sized machines with spider legs and tiny round bodies poured out and raced down the walls.