xxix. a fool's song.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

▬▬▬▬▬

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐄𝐋 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄, 𝐍𝐄𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐃. Although, their minds tell a much different story.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎Morrow's thoughts remain a vicious storm, a constant roar in her skull that she can't dim. She needs to get accustomed to the increased volume of his thoughts due to her strengthened bond to him, but that all takes time. He's constantly thinking about his pack and what to do when he reaches Pailon, the longing to protect the were almost eating at his heart. What lies on the other side of Pailon's invisible walls is unknown, and she only wonders if the uncertainty scares him. If it does, he doesn't seem to show it aside from his repeating thought pattern. It certainly leaves her stomach a little queasy.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎From above, most of the woods remain scorched with blight, blackened and dead for hell knows how long. The towering oaks and maples remain vacant of leaves and growth, allowing the sun to bleach the soil below. Still, to her surprise, there are still patches of land untainted by the blight's evils. There are trees in full autumn foliage, burning red in a sea of black. It's sparse, but there are some, perfect havens for her and Morrow to rest, just like Thorn had said.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎Oleander's compass dangles from Morrow's neck. He pauses in the air, his eyes analysing the device before lifting his gaze to find Elowen. A lost charcoal wisp curls across his brow, dangling into his vision.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"The meadow Thorn told us about shouldn't be far," Morrow commands.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎Elowen nods, trying not to release the most irritated groan. She's been flying for hours without a second of rest, and her wings feel as if they're about to fall off. Her shoulders ache from carrying the weight of her, and even a bird needs to land when night falls. All this time of her being bedridden due to arrows and iron burns certainly didn't help her stamina.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎Morrow tilts his head over his shoulder. "You can keep going a little longer, can't you?"

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"Not even tired," she lies, plastering a faux smile on her lips.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"Then you won't be pissed if we keep moving through the night."

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎She scowls. "You know how dangerous that is on foot."

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎He chuckles, his meadowed hues darkening. "I promise I'll let you sleep tonight." Unlike last night, he growls through mind-link, ending it with a sharp wink before flying into a jetstream.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎The blush on Elowen's cheeks increases, but she's glad no audience can spy on her. It's just Morrow, the last person she ever imagined she could be interconnected to.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎The sun soon sets and the stars hang over their heads, a mosaic of twinkling lights that gives them enough sight that they don't require torchlight. The moon acts the same, hovering above a vast clearing, guiding them to their promised haven. It's empty of trees, but the tall grasses that sway in the breeze ripple like the ocean waves. In the moonlight, the blades remain golden and untouched by evils. Goldenrod grows within the grasses, a speckle of sunshine in the bleak night air.