Five

The next morning, I went full ninja mode on my way to the kitchen. I knew my team was already there, having breakfast and coffee to fuel themselves for the day ahead, sensing their rooms empty. And seeing as I'm usually the first one at Nellies, I can't afford to run late just because of last night's incident.

Pausing at every turn, I listened for any sounds that could determine whether the coast was clear, before rushing onward. A few times, I expertly avoided crossing paths with Rheon, Ash's grumbling father, Rieka, and even Blake, and nearly sang in relief when the kitchen door popped into sight.

But when I picked up on the voices inside, I skidded to a halt.

"So, none of ye lasses were in th' kitchen last night, ey?"

"No." Came Maisie's reply.

"Uh-uh," said Bonnie.

"I slept like wee babe through the whole night, so, no." And that was Sandra.

"And I don't s'ppose you can scream lik' a lass, now, can ye?" The man from last night asked again, and a moment later, Hamish answered.

"I mean, it's not like I haven't tried before."

"Aye, but can ye in French?"

"French?" My heart nearly stood still when Bonnie spoke up. "Oh, I think he's looking for Nel, guys."

Shit, dammit, hell's bells, Bonnie!

Pressing my back against the wall, I hope for all that's holy they don't tell him anything else – like where my room is. So far, I could evade his werewolf senses throughout the morning, but little can be done if he waited for me outside my bloody room.

"Nel?" The man said my name as though he was tasting some exotic dessert for the first time. "And where'd she be this mornin'?"

"Hmm, probably on her way I'd say," Sandra replied. "She's never late."

"Ah, cheers," the man said pleasantly...and then his footsteps were approaching the door.

Pulling a face, I retreated backwards on the balls of my feet, probably looking like a cat wearing shoes for the first time. The handle jiggled, and I dove around the first corner to make a bolt for it.

There's no way I'm facing him without at least three cups of coffee and a healthy splash of whisky in them. I'm too sober for this – as if werewolves could get drunk. What a shame we couldn't.

Speeding down the hall, I spot the exit up ahead and quietly push open the large double doors. Once outside, I could finally breathe again and descended five steps to the ground. Hell, it's like avoiding the photo-crazy relative at a party, or my neighbor's rabid rooster who only lives to torment me.

One day I'll cook that rooster, just watch.

Inhaling a large breath of the crisp morning air, I feel my nerves settle. Calm enough to focus, I figured I'd find the back entrance of the castle and just find my way to the kitchen from there. It was, in fact, impossible to get lost if all I could do was just follow the scent of coffee through the halls.

Liking that plan, I began my trek around the castle...only to halt once more when I sensed a pair of footsteps approaching from around the next turn.

It could have been anyone, but the way the hairs on my arms stood on end, told me exactly who it was.

Spinning around, I'm once again fleeing to avoid confrontation. Dammit, this man is everywhere!

The garage came into view and seeing as it was the first door I spotted, I just about dove inside and quietly pushed it close. With my back pressed to the wood, I held my breath to listen if he was still on my trail.