Chapter 136: Convoy Service

When Ves finally heard back from Marcella, he turned to Lucky who rested on the couch.

"Am I hearing this right?"

Lucky batted his paw at him for disturbing his naptime. The lazy cat hadn't bothered to give his opinion. As long as the minerals kept coming, the animal was content.

His bank sent him a notification a few minutes later. Ves truly had to admit his broker kept her promises. His first production mech auctioned for an incredible sum of 42 million credits. This amounted to a gross profits of 15.6 million credits. Such a profit from a single sale was truly perverse.

He quickly received confirmation from the System as well by depositing 42 DP into his stagnant pool. It was a drop in the ocean compared to the earnings of his latest virtual mech, but every little bit helped.

What amazed Ves even more was that Marcella managed to draw out eight subsequent orders at the same event. Due to a lack of capital, he demanded his clients to pay a deposit up front in order to afford the resources required to fabricate the mechs. With such an onerous requirement, Marcella still managed to open the wallets of eight different people.

Ves glanced at the list of customers. Six of them were registered as mercenaries while only two appeared to be collectors. This meant that his mechs would certainly be employed in battle. A solid track record helped much to enhance the value of his Mark II.

After he finally came down from his excitement, Ves prepared his largest set of orders to date. First, he had to procure around 144 million credits worth of raw materials. If anything happened to this huge batch of resources, he might as well declare bankruptcy.

"I'll have to start looking for insurance." He quickly decided.

A quick search revealed that Sanyal-Ablin happened to be one of the major insurance vendors on the planet. They not only insured bulk transport shipments, they also offered an armed convoy service for especially valuable shipments. Anyone who contracted the convoy service naturally received a generous insurance quote.

Since he already contracted SASS to secure his workshop, he might as well inquire about their insurance policies. Ves called Robyn's comm. She picked up after two minutes of waiting.

"Sorry about that Mr. Larkinson, I had to finalize a business deal. How may I help you?"

"I'm about to receive a huge shipment of materials." He started, then explained his upcoming schedule.

Miss Robyn quickly got the picture. "I see. You have come to the right place to secure your shipments. Let me explain our products."

SASS offered various insurance policies. The cheapest policy only insured a fixed number of shipments, which was great for short-term business ventures. It also added up to a significant amount of money if renewed.

Those who wanted to insure their interstellar shipments for the long haul contracted their annual policies. Ves favored this kind of service because Ves only had to pay a fixed amount per year for a certain amount of shipments. If the amount or value of his shipment exceeded a certain threshold, the insurance policy automatically adjusted its annual rate. It made for a convenient and predictable expense.

"We highly recommend you combine our annual insurance with our convoy service." The woman added. "Shipments throughout the Republic has suffered from a marked increase in pirate attacks. Major mech shipments have become their prime targets."

He furrowed his brows. That sounded really bad news to Ves, especially since he frequently shipped his goods back and forth.

"How does it look like and what will it cost?"