Chapter 3: Remorse

Chione's PoV

"What do you think Chione? Should we go to the boutique first or go for the accessories?" The duchess energetically questioned as she gazed outside the windows of a pastry shop.

I looked outside as well.

The sun is currently shining but dark clouds are looming in. It will soon rain. Like those stories, they tell when an elemental horse was to be married (tikbalang).

It was noon and yet I plan to run away from this place before the moon breaks, that was because it would be too hard to navigate the place when the sun is completely down.

God gave me the chance and I'm taking that chance without any second thoughts.

It was the time when dangerous people roam the place...

If I were gone, no one could trail me so easily.

I watched the Duchess who had been waiting for me to answer.

If I spend some time with her and if I disappear as the sun sets, I'm sure she will not think of finding me.

News of bandits were circulating the city. It would be dangerous if people were to search for me in the deep of the night.

I can use that as a chance to escape. I will be safe nonetheless, I made sure to pack a dagger with me.

A dagger infused with magical stones.

Any item with those can easily be used with magic.

In fact, I also learned a bit of magic in my past life.

The Duchess's stares burned holes through my face.

I am not in the position to choose for her and I don't get why she's waiting.

"You choose, mother."

"Ah! We should go to a jeweler first! You like pieces of jewelry don't you?" I nodded. She questioned me but it was also her who decided so fast.

Most of the time, we call in jewelers and tailors in the mansion, however, Duchess Czechaine also likes to roam around the bustling streets. So we're here.

In the first days of every month can we only do this, or whenever there is an important event at the Elysion castle.

Duchess Czechaine giggled on her own.

It is really fascinating to watch her youthful face do that.

Every time she's with me, her smiles have no end.

She shows me that face but every night, she never fails to visit the room of her daughter.

Crying while holding her chest tightly, kneeling, and praying that Challie will come back.

I tend to watch her whenever she's alone suffering. Praying that my unsaid thoughts will comfort her even when I'm sure it never reached her.

How long does she intend to keep smiling in front of me? Only to show and pretend that they are happy with my existence when in fact, I never even helped them move on?

"Mother..." The duchess looked at me with twinkling eyes.

"Yes, Chione?" I gave her a soft smile.

"Thank you for everything."

And I am sorry because I can't fill up that hole in your heart.

No matter what I do, I will never be able to measure up to Challiana. I can't even rival your love for her. Not even a bit.