Bad Luck.

"You don't have to do this, Jack."

"I know. But I want to."

Jackson Wells and Jillian Laviolette-Wells sat on the grass behind Safe Haven Observatory, having just completed a secret wedding officiated by their friend Dan Darren. The stars were out, but could barely be seen due to the light pollution from the increasingly-urbanized city.

"You're not a fighter, Jack," Jill said in a whisper, shaking her head as she looked up at the stars. "You won't last a second out there."

"Gee, thanks," Jack replied sarcastically, giving Jill a grin.

"I'm serious, Jack," Jill told him, shooting Jack a look. "If you go onto the battlefield—with or without me—you probably won't come back."

"I'm immortal, Jill," Jack reminded his new bride. "I always come back."

"But what if you don't this time?" Jill pressed. "Hades is gonna be using his whole reservoir of power for this one. He might take back the power he gave you—and then what?"

"Then I give it my all." Jack put a paw on Jill's face. "You know I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe. Even if it means sacrificing myself for you."

"And if we lose, you'll have died for nothing," Jill argued.

"If we lose, I'll be dead anyway," Jack pointed out. "I doubt Fisi's planning to leave any survivors."

Jill stared at Jack for a moment, wracking her mind for more reasons why he shouldn't be fighting. Eventually, though, she gave up and let out a sigh, resting her head on Jack's shoulder. "I—I just don't wanna lose you," she murmured. "I love you so much, Jack. Maybe too much."

"I love you too, Jill." Jack rested his head on Jill's. "I'll be okay. I promise."

Despite her misgivings, Jill smiled up at Jack. "Careful, Jack. Don't make promises you can't keep."