I wanna be a HEALER!

I walk on the pathway in the middle of the group of Lupiti. The towering platform of stone in front of me is so close, yet it feels so far away. The Lupiti stare emphatically at me as I stop midway. I stretch my neck to its full length and push out my chest, trying to seem more confident than I really am. I continue, stepping up onto the platform as the crowd of Lupiti erupts into whoops and cheers. I want to believe that they are cheering for me but I can see their eyes are on Fern as she steps out. 

She grins and spreads her wings dramatically, showing off her golden feathers. The sun makes her wings appear even brighter than usual while mine just becomes whiter under its rays. When she bounds up onto the platform with me, I flinch. Luckily, she doesn't catch the sudden movement and waves to the crowd of Lupiti. 

Sea Feather sits beneath the overhanging ledge of the platform, "Feather Tribe!"

The crowd quiets to hear him speak. He smiles, "I present you... with two new Hunters!"

The crowd starts to clap again but a shrill voice cuts through, "I don't WANT to be HUNTER! I shall be a HEALER!"

There is silence as everyone turns to stare at Fern, for it was her who spoke. 

Quickly, I reach out a wing to brush against hers, hissing, "We talked about this!"

If she heard me over the shouting and gasping, she didn't show it. 

Instead, she raised her head, tipping it up defiantly, "I have been spying on Cloudberry! I know all there is to know to be a Healer!"

I remembered our trips to Cloudberry's small tent when we were little. We would always sniff the strange berries and play around with the leaves. Both of us were fascinated by the Healer's work. We had fantasised a future where we were both honoured Healers. 

However, for me, those imaginations faded into nothing as soon as we'd been ushered out of the tent by Cloudberry. As soon as we were outside, the idea of being a Hunter pushed all other thoughts to the back of my head. 

I thought it'd been the same with Fern. 

I also remembered how I'd always catch Fern peering into the tent, even after we were assigned to Sparrow as Hunter-in-trainings.

I lashed my tail nervously and clicked my beak as the crowd broke into loud protests of disbelief. A Lupiti with yellow-brown feathers was pushed unceremoniously forward by the united crowd. Cloudberry's feathers were ruffled and her eyes were bewildered. 

Then she blinked and she was calm again, feathers settling and beak parting in a scowl, "What is the meaning of this? Why should I be so rudely pushed and shoved?"

Her glare was terrifying and even Sea Feather hesitated, "I, er..." 

He gathered himself, "Right. Cloudberry, did you know that Fern has been spying on you? Did you aid her in this?"

Cloudberry turned her penetrating gaze onto Fern, "No. I did not know."

Fern pushed out her chest, straightening her shoulders and glaring right back at Cloudberry, "I have been your apprentice all along, Cloudberry. Without you even knowing. Will you take me in and teach me how to be a proper Healer?"

Cloudberry and Fern seemed to have a glaring contest, the crowd held their breath. 

Finally, Cloudberry shrugged and glanced at Sea Feather, "Eh. I mean, it's impressive, I guess. There's no reason why not."

The crowd exploded and one Lupiti shoved her way to the front and started arguing with Cloudberry. Sparrow and Cloudberry circled each other, screeching. 

Sparrow lashed her tail and bared her teeth, snarling, "That's MY student! She HAS to be a Hunter! She is The Chosen One!"

Sea Feather shifted uncomfortably.

Cloudberry bristled, "Oh really? Where'd you hear that? Some Old Tale? How do you know it isn't a lie?"

Sparrow screeched, "How dare you doubt our Leader! TRAITOR!

My eyes widened, the two were moments away from pouncing at each other. I had never seen Sparrow so furious.