Chapter 13

The next day, in the Duke's office.

In the cold atmosphere enveloping the room, Lina watched the Duke's mood.

'I don't know why. But it's clear his condition is worse than yesterday.'

Since visiting the medical office yesterday, the Duke seemed even more uncomfortable.

'Could it be because of the teapot I broke?'

This morning, Lina was scolded by the butler. Cullen's words, saying that this matter won't just be overlooked and that she should prepare for punishment, lingered in her ears.

'If that's the case, he should have just scolded me.'

She felt like she was sitting on a bed of thorns. It needlessly bothered her, feeling like a thief complaining about numb feet.

'It seems like there's nothing to do.'

For some reason, even though there was no particular task given, the Duke always called her when she was about to leave the room.

After repeating this several times, she gave up on everything and simply kept herself busy in the office.

Lina was already polishing the same ornament for the fifth time. She didn't know if the gloss of the ornament would disappear if she kept on polishing it here.

'I'll get scolded by the butler again at this rate.'

Thinking of Cullen's angry voice, she quickly put down the ornament.

Then, her eyes caught the sight of some books piled up in the corner of the room.

"Duke, may I take these books to the library?"

Pointing at the books and asking, Valige seemed to want to say something, but then withdrew his gaze.

"Do as you please. You haven't forgotten the afternoon schedule, have you?"

Lina had to help the Duke get ready for his departure from the mansion in the afternoon. She turned her head to look at the clock. There was just under an hour left.

'I should hurry a little.'

It was better to be a bit busy rather than idly waiting for an hour.

"Yes. I'll be right back."

Lina picked up the stack of books and headed to the library.

"It's a bit uncomfortable."

Her hand, which was injured yesterday, had not yet healed fully. Because she was avoiding the wound while carrying the books, her posture was a bit uncomfortable.

"Huh?"

Then, the precariously stacked books fell and scattered on the floor.

"Sigh- ."

Lina sighed as she looked at the scattered books, bending down to pick them up. Suddenly, a man's hand picked up the book she was about to grab.

When she looked up to check the owner of the hand, a familiar face appeared.

"Henry?"

With his warm brown hair, Henry shook the book she had been carrying and said,

"What will happen if a girl with an injured hand carries something this heavy?"

"If someone hears that, they'll think I've broken a bone."

Lina spat out a word in annoyance at Henry's treatment of her like a patient.

"Where are you taking this? I'll help you."

Before she could even answer, Henry, who had gathered all the books, asked.