23°

-Are you hungry, Sir?- I peeped into Jake's room holding a tray with two sandwiches on it and the boy, lying on the bed on the side, raised his head slightly.

There was no light on and darkness was already falling outside although it was not yet evening.

-No.- He said coldly and I felt as if I had returned to three months earlier during my first days at work.

-Thanks anyway.- He added softly, covering himself with the sheets, at least something had changed.

I still entered the room cautiously and sat down on the other side of the bed, then placed the tray between us.

-What are you doing?- He stayed still where he was without even turning around, I turned on the bajour on the bedside table.

-I'm making myself comfortable.- I replied trying to be as natural as possible as I leaned my back against the headboard and stretched my legs.

-Your bed is much more comfortable than mine, Sir.- I admitted and then grabbed a sandwich, only then the boy slowly turned around.

-Do you want to eat here?- He asked me confused, hearing the sound of the paper towels around the sandwich.

-Exactly, you won't let me eat alone I hope.- I said biting into the soft bread.

I left him speechless for a few moments.
He made to answer me in tone then stopped.
A sigh.

-Hand me one, come on.- He sat down and stretched out his hand towards me, I tried not to look surprised and obeyed once I had swallowed the morsel.

We began to eat in silence, it was all too damn similar to three months before.
-Brat... thank you.

I nearly choked on my bread at his sudden words, he smiled amused.

-It's... not funny.- I said again with a few coughs.

-I almost choked.- I said, but due to the rather comical situation a giggle escaped me, Jake was staring at me with those milky white eyes and a beautiful smile on his lips.

I was startled when I felt a strange feeling in my stomach, so I looked away.

-I'm glad you finally ate too, Sir.- I said wiping my fingers and the corners of my mouth with a handkerchief, he did the same.

He took off the pendants he wore on his lobes, placing them with difficulty on the bedside table, in the half-light I could no longer see his small, elusive smile so well.

-I didn't tell you the truth before.- He said in a low voice biting his embarrassed lip and turned to allow me to look at his face.

-I know you knew I was lying.- He lay on his back and put his hands behind the back of his head, it didn't seem to bother him that I was there.

-The thing is, I've always been nervous about clinics.-

-But, Jake, you're in good health, aren't you?- I immediately realised my mistake.

Cursing myself in I don't know how many languages I began to think of as many ways to apologise.

His brow furrowed, but a mocking smile appeared on his lips.

-Yes, I'm fine.- I felt strangely reassured, it was a good feeling to know that everything was fine.

-I'm sorry I called you by your name, Sir.- I lowered my gaze, it was unbelievable that he didn't get angry.

So incredible that I thought he was making fun of me.

-If I didn't say anything it means I don't mind if you talk to me informally, Brat.- He snorted and I couldn't help but stare at him shocked.

He turned his head in the opposite direction to mine, embarrassed by that sudden confidence.

-You can just call me Jake from now on, if you want.- He added softly.

-But now get out I'm tired.- he exclaimed coldly without turning his face towards me.

I smiled getting up and taking the tray with me, I felt lighter.

-Goodnight "just Jake".- I said before closing the door behind me.

The room was dark again, but I swear I saw a hint of a smile from him at that moment.