Chapter 47. The Freshers' Party

'Pari! Your date is here!', Pappa's voice sounded mischievous.

Shrishti huffed as she brushed her hair. 'He is not my date, Pappa.', she shouted back annoyed.

'How can you say that, Pari? You are breaking my heart!', came Arpit's voice.

Shrishti rolled her eyes but a smile came to her lips.

Shrishti had told her Pappa about the party and also that Arpit was coming with her and would come back with her as she had the car and was offering him the ride. Arpit had agreed to come with her because at late night he would not get transportation easily around their college. Pappa had teased her of having a date. This was even after she explained that Arpit had a girlfriend and was going with her to the party. Here Pappa just loved to tease her. And now Arpit was also joining in.

Shrishti adjusted her outfit and took a quick look at herself. Hair curled into waves and falling over the shoulder stylishly? Check. Simple lipstick and classy eyeshadow? Check. Off shoulder dress that showed off her collarbone and sleek shoulders? Check. Earrings that dangle and touch the neck? Check. Simple gold watch and high heeled white shoes? Check. Although she was not yet wearing her shoes. She straightened her frock and once again wondered if it was not a bit too much. She had chosen a white frock that fell just right below her knee. It was filled with colourful flowers and was cinched at the waist, emphasising her waist and highlighting her hourglass figure.

'I am overdoing it, right?', she mumbled to herself. 'Is the revealing shoulder overkill?' She shook her head. Divi and Daljeet had approved of it. Even Daljeet was planning to wear halter neck that would show off her shoulders and her dress hit her thighs showing off her toned legs. Surely, off shoulder dress was not an overkill! She shook her head, grabbed her white purse and stormed out of the room. Time to move before her overthinking made her doubt everything.

'Woah!', Arpit commented, 'Who are you planning to kill with your beauty?'

'You look good, beta.', Pappa smiled at her.

'Does it look too much?', she asked her Pappa.

Arpit leaned over towards Pappa and said loudly, 'Even if she looked too much, don't tell her please. I don't want to spend my whole evening here while she tries out every dress in her closet.'

Shrishti glared at him for his comment and got a teasing grin in reply.

She turned to Pappa and looked at him expectantly.

'You look good, beta. Like a Pari. Go and have fun.'

Shrishti thanked her Pappa, hugged him and walked away with Arpit.

'Genuinely, Pari, who are you planning to kill?', Arpit asked her as they reached the shoe cupboard and she pulled out her heels. She sat down to strap her heels while he tied the strings of his formal shoes.

'Nobody. I don't look that good. Stop teasing me.', Shrishti replied while shaking her head.

As they stepped out of the house, Arpit chuckled. 'My dear, guys are going to be dumbstruck and stare at you stunned. Look, there is your first victim.' He pointed sideways and she turned around on instinct only to be stunned herself. Raghav stood there, staring at her. The moment she met his eyes, he turned and walked back into his house, avoiding her eyes.

Arpit cackled loudly. She hit his arm and glared at him. 'Stop it. Stop teasing me.'

'Who is teasing you? Didn't you see? Bhaiyya was unable to look away.'

'He was looking at you.', she said, although her excuse sounded weak even to her own ears.

'Yes.', Arpit nodded sagely, 'My own brother was stunned by my own good looks even though I got dressed right in front of him and he was the one who helped me tie this tie.' He pointed to his tie. Arpit was dressed in a simple suit, black trousers, white shirt and black coat with navy blue tie that matched Daljeet's outfit's color exactly. Daljeet had bought it for him and had given it to him on Friday in college before they headed for home.