12. Until I Found You

“Until I Found You” is a song by American singer-songwriter Stephen Sanchez. Stephen wrote the song about a love interest he had initially pushed away to shield her from family issues. [Source: Wikipedia, Genius]

****

FFANC: Nathan finds it funny when people write love songs about their relationship and then they break up.

****

Chapter Twelve: Until I Found You

The world might've been ending while we were eating dumplings.

“Why would the world be ending?” Nathan asked as I sat down on the pavement, forgetting all about my dress and myself, holding my head in my hands.

“And why are you reacting this way, looking at Wong’s date?”

It was all my fault. I had done this. I made this happen.

“Shouldn't we be happy if Wong’s on a date? If he's getting laid, that'd mean-”

“Oh no!” I looked up at him in horror, “Don't say that, don't you dare say that. No getting laid for anyone, Oh God. Oh, kill me now.”

Nathan had one of his hands on his hips, “Why? If he gets laid, that means he'll be less grumpy in class, don't you think? I think that's great.”

“No, it's terrible. It's the worst. Nothing worse had ever happened,” I was shaking my head.

“Please tell me why it is so terrible.”

“That's my mom, Nathan,” I said, “My mother!”

He stared at me. I saw him registering the words to his brain. I saw him pressing his lips together and struggling.

“Oh my god, Nathan! If you laugh now, I'd never forgive you!” I said, punching his legs, “I’d never talk to you ever again.”

He cleared his throat and then covered his mouth with hands. I looked away and could feel my world crumbling.

My mother with my teacher Mr.Wong.

My chemistry professor mother with my high school chemistry teacher Wong.

This was why she was asking for my Ruby Woo. She was wearing it. I saw it when I looked at her. She was looking prettier than ever because she had put in the effort. She wanted this date to work. Or else, she would never even agree to come out on a date.

Oh, no.

She wanted it to work with Wong.

Oh, hell no.

I was going to die. I realized as I stood up.

“Kingsley, I realized, you might never have to study chemistry again,” Nathan said.

I had told Nathan in our chemistry session that my mother is a chemistry professor. He remembered that.

“I can already see the A’s on your test copies,” He murmured as he looked at the restaurant, “The series of A’s.”

I glared at him, “You're not helping, Nathan.”

“And if you ever have siblings, they'll start spouting out periodic tables even before alphabets, probably.” Nathan shook his head and looked at me, “Like, can you imagine?”

And so I imagined my mother marrying Wong, and I almost collapsed back onto the pavement. Nathan caught me.

“You're not helping at all!” I said, into his chest as he straightened me up, “How could this even happen?”