Chapter 9

"Hey, Li! Have you seen my shirt?"

A muffled voice shouted from the distance, "Which one?"

"White? It's got some drawings on it?" At the lack of response from the other, Kazzi sighed, "The one I wore to your Christmas dinner last year?"

"Oh! It's in my closet."

Kazzi scowled, tripping over the mess on the floor to stumble to the other side of the room. She flung open Lili's closet, almost immediately spotting the shirt she was looking for.

"Why the fuck is it in your closet?"

"Don't know," Lili's voice progressively got louder, until her footsteps stopped at the doorway, "I think I took your shirt by accident and just stuffed it in there."

Kazzi shot her an unimpressed look, "You do realize my closet is barely ten feet away?"

Lili flashed her a peace sign and a sheepish smile. Kazzi shook her head with an exasperated smile, and moved to grab her bag off the table.

"So, where are you off to?"

"Bea's friend's theater thing," Kazzi replied, snorting when she saw Lili's confused expression. "Yeah, I don't know either. I promised her I would go since I ditched her last time."

Lili stepped out of the way as Kazzi exited the room, heading towards the door, "Okay, and I just wanted to let you know I won't be back for dinner today."

"Oh? Got a date?"

"It's not really a date," Lili huffed, "Just hanging out."

Kazzi rolled her eyes, reaching down to put her shoes on, "You two have been dancing around each other for-fucking-ever, when are you gonna get your shit together?"

"Shut up, you can't talk. I have no idea what's going on between you and Paige anymore."

"Nothing is," Kazzi reached for the doorknob, cocking her head back, "Let me know how it goes. Maybe grow some balls and kiss him or something."

Before Lili could properly reply, Kazzi stepped over the threshold and shut the door in her face. She cackled when she heard a muffled 'you grow some balls and kiss Paige!', before walking to their apartment's elevator.

She had lived off campus since the start of attending UConn, deciding to room with Lili once she laid eyes on the rent prices. It had taken quite some convincing for her family to allow her to live closer to campus, the argument that 'no mum, I can't drive three hours there and back everyday' was pretty solid, they conceded in the end.

Lili was a great roommate, she did her half of the chores, always made sure the fridge was stocked with groceries (Kazzi didn't like grocery shopping), and she could cook. Kazzi would return the favors, always washing the dishes, hanging the laundry when Lili decided to wash, and taking out the trash. After living together for three years, they functioned in almost perfect sync, something Kazzi treasures greatly.

That also meant that Kazzi was most likely getting takeout tonight.

She checked her watch, slightly speeding up her walking pace when she realized she might be late to the venue. She couldn't quite bring herself to be excited to see this...rehearsal? Play? She didn't actually know this was, not bothering to clarify with Bea, and was guilted into going after she didn't show up last time (she had an excuse, she swears).

She rounded a corner, head up in the clouds when she bodily collided with someone. It happened too fast for Kazzi to react, gasping as ice cold liquid splashed down her front, the other person grunting in surprise.

She could gape at the –what looks to be iced coffee– staining the front of her white shirt, wet and dripping.

"Holy shit, I'm so sorry."

Kazzi glanced up, blinking in surprise when she saw a shocked Nika Mühl standing in front of her. The other held a now half-empty cup in her hand, grimacing at the mess on Kazzi's shirt.

"Shit...I don't have tissues," Nika looked really apologetic, and Kazzi couldn't quite bring herself to be angry. She was still frustrated at the unfortunate timing though, she will be late if she returned back to the apartment now, and Bea definitely won't be happy with her. But she couldn't really go to the play looking like this, could she?

"Ah...it's fine. Don't worry about it." Kazzi lightly brushed her shirt, wincing when her hands returned wet and covered with coffee. It was also really cold.

"No, no, I feel really bad...I could wash it for you?"

Kazzi let out an incredulous laugh, noting how the tension in Nika's shoulders relaxed. Kazzi giggled, "I don't have anything underneath."

Nika smiled sheepishly, "Oh, is there anything I can do to help? I feel responsible for this."

Kazzi waved her off, already starting to shiver as the cold drink seeped into her skin. "It's really okay, I'll just go back and change. I'll be late to my friend's play though, she won't be happy."

"Oh my gosh, I feel so bad."

Kazzi shrugged, teeth starting to chatter. She should really head back before she catches a cold. Nika noticed her discomfort, and her brows scrunched together in concern. "You cold? Here wait, you can just wear this."

Kazzi watched, perplexed as Nika placed her cup on the floor and started to shrug off her outer Huskies jumper. Kazzi opened her mouth to stop her, but the thought of being warm made her bite her tongue, she was really uncomfortable.

"Wear this and take off the shirt, I'll wash it for you," Nika said as she extended her arm, jumper in hand. Kazzi eyed the number 10 plastered on it, and she felt slightly embarrassed taking the article of clothing off the other's hand. Everyone would know who it belonged to, and the idea made Kazzi slightly hesitant.

"You sure?" Kazzi questioned, the jumper was warm to the touch.

"Yeah, you won't be late to your play either." The idea was very appealing, but Kazzi still made no move to wear the jumper. Nika shot her a reassuring smile, "It'll make me feel infinitely better about the situation. Please, I insist."

Oh well, how could Kazzi ever deny that?

She found a secluded corner barely five feet away, and peeled the sticky, cold shirt off of her. She trembled, quickly shimmering into Nika's jumper. The immediate comfort Kazzi felt was heavenly, the jumper a bit oversized for her but she wasn't complaining as she warmed her hands with the sweater paws.

She returned to Nika, and Nika brightened, hand reaching out to take the shirt.

"Hey, you seriously don't have to wash that. I can–"

"Nonsense," Nika smiled, "Swing by my dorm later tonight and I'll give you your shirt back. You can also give me my jumper."

Kazzi nodded, mentally moving her schedule around to accommodate for this, "Sure, what dorm?"

After parting ways, Kazzi practically ran to the theater.

She wasn't late.