FAQs

Can I write fanfiction? You are welcome to participate in this challenge as motivation to help you write. However, due to copyright issues with fanfictions, you do not 100% own the story so it won't be considered eligible for this challenge since we are looking for original fiction.

I don't have a story yet, can I use this to create a new story? Yes, you can use this challenge to create a new story and write the first 8 chapters.

I just published a new story before I saw this, can I still participate? Yes, as long as the original publishing date of your story was on or after 1 September 2023, it doesn't matter how far along the story is. This challenge allows you to add 8 NEW chapters at any point in the ongoing story.

But I only have the author note and cast chapters published, not any story chapters yet, can I still participate? Yes, as long as the original publishing date of your story was on or after 1 September 2023. Please note these won't count towards the challenge. You still need to add 8 new chapters of storytelling (1.5k words each) within the current writing window.

I just saw this, I don't think I will have enough time to submit it! Don't worry, we open a new challenge writing window every two months. Take the time to plot and plan so you are ready to publish and write for the next challenge.

Is there a specific story tag associated with this? Yes, you must add the tag #8CCMay24 to your story.

Will you have more time to consider my story if I submit it earlier? It doesn't matter when you submit during the writing window, all stories will undergo the same level of screening. Please don't submit before you have at least 8 chapters with at least 1500 words per chapter, and be mindful to submit before the final deadline.

Can I use ChatGPT to help me? We strongly advise against it since you cannot claim the copyrights to AI-generated content and you need to own and control all the rights to the story you submit.

I'm not good with making covers, will this affect my chances? Not at all. We consider the story, not the cover or any graphics/media.

How can I win this? This is a challenge so there will not be any winners. The aim is to find joy in the accomplishment of writing and growing your story. We seek to offer writers a source of motivation and support while writing.

I have a Character that uses some non-English dialogue, is this okay? Yes, if the primary language is English you are allowed to use phrases from other languages to lend authenticity. Please just ensure English readers will understand it within the context of your story.

My prologue is more than 1500 words, will it count? If you wish to include a Prologue then you may do so, but ultimately we won't consider it toward the chapter or word count. Please ensure you have 8 storytelling chapters of 1500+ words each. We would suggest that you get straight into the action in Chapter One and hook your readers, any information in a prologue can usually be woven into the story elsewhere as you go.

What if my story is almost complete and I don't have room for 8 new chapters? Congratulations on nearing completion. If you don't think you have room for 8 new chapters we suggest you join the 30-Day Challenge instead. There is no specific amount of chapters required and you are free to write the amount you can within 30 days.

What happens if my story is complete after finishing the 8-chapter challenge? That will be an amazing accomplishment and we would like to know about it so we can celebrate with you. Simply reply in comments here with your story title if this happens and we will send you a little surprise.

Can I participate in the 8CC and the 30DC at the same time, with the same story? Yes, you can.

Can I participate in the 8CC with one story and the 30DC with a different story at the same time? Yes, if you can manage it, you can.