Chapter 10

I stand before Zahra, close enough that I know she can clearly hear my rapid heartbeat

I stand before Zahra, close enough that I know she can clearly hear my rapid heartbeat. Her gaze locks with mine, surprise flickering in her eyes as my words hang in the air. Her hair is messily arranged on her back, with a few strands cascading onto her shoulder, tempting me to brush them back with a gentle touch, but I somehow manage to maintain control.

My gaze drifts to her slightly parted lips, exhaling slow breaths just like a soft caress. Now it's definitely becoming hard for me to restrain myself.

As I realize what I am about to do, I swiftly pull away from her, only to be met with an even more surprised expression. Goodness! Adam, Control yourself! You almost kissed her!

I attempt to avert my gaze, but my eyes simply refuse to leave her lips. Her lips…they're dangerously irresistible! I just want to run back to her, pull her into my arms, and kiss her until we're both breathless.

Being her husband, I know it's not wrong, but without her consent, it's definitely not right. If I were to lose control over her when she's not ready, what would set me apart from that man who caused her so much trauma?

I take another step back and walk out of my room, leaving her standing there, puzzled by my sudden action. Stepping into the open space of my house, I feel a chilly breeze brushing against my forehead, making my hair stand on end. I lean against the glass railing and intertwine my hands, resting them on it.

My head tilts downward, my eyes fluttering shut as I release a weary sigh, willing my racing heart to find its rhythm once again. Silently, I stand there, unaware that more than half an hour has passed since I first arrived.

I make my way back to my room, and as my eyes land on the bed, I notice Zahra sitting there. Her arms are wrapped around a pillow, her body reclines against the headboard and her eyes closed.

With slow steps, I approach her, only to notice that she is peacefully sleeping. 

Carefully, I take the pillow from her grasp and place it behind her, ensuring she's lying down comfortably on the bed. My fingers brush against the silken skin of her cheek, gently sweeping aside a  few strands of her hair to reveal her serene sleeping face.

As my eyes inadvertently fall upon her lips, I quickly avert my eyes.

Don't Look.

Don't Look.

Don't!

I step back and retrace my movements towards my side of the bed, unbuttoning my shirt along the way. I have a habit of dozing off shirtless. But as my eyes land on Zahra's peaceful sleeping figure, my fingers come to a halt on the button. 

I rebutton my shirt, leaving the first few buttons undone and settle onto the bed as I don't want to startle her when she wakes up and finds me shirtless.