Chapter 11

As we step into the company, a chorus of greetings fills the air, all directed towards Adam

As we step into the company, a chorus of greetings fills the air, all directed towards Adam. My gaze sweeps across the whole area, aware that all eyes will soon be fixated on me as I know the news of my sudden marriage to Adam has already spread.

Managing the aftermath of a rumor about oneself spreading throughout the workplace is already a daunting task. But now that we're married, I know I'll be facing countless questions. It's going to be even more challenging, especially when most people here were aware that I had a boyfriend, and now I'm suddenly married to their boss.

My hands tightly clasp each other as I walk alongside Adam, who is slightly ahead of me due to my slower pace. Returning to the office was my decision, and I thought I was prepared for it. But, I was never prepared for the barrage of questions that I know I'll be asked. Honestly, it's what's causing anxiety to stir within me. 

Abruptly, Adam halts and turns to me. His eyes briefly glance at my hands before meeting mine.

One of his hands reaches out, gently parting my hands, while the other remains in his pocket. He takes my hand and intertwine his fingers with mine, as if he is creating a protective shield. Turning back, he walks by my side, his eyes focused ahead. I steal a glance at our entwined hands and the glimmer of our wedding ring on his finger catches my eye.

I look back up at him and notice his clear side profile. It's something I've heard people talk about, but never really paid attention to until now. He really does have a good side profile. Sensing my gaze on him he turns to meet my eyes but I quickly shift my attention elsewhere, not wanting him to catch me in the act.

Just as I observe the people around us, I frown. We're practically holding hands, and it's clear that everyone knows about our marriage. Yet, they don't seem to give me any suspicious looks. I try to observe their expressions, but everyone acts as if nothing shocking has happened or as if I'm invisible.

As I step out of the elevator, I notice the bizarre vibe on our department floor. It's clear that everyone can clearly see how our hands are intertwined, but still they seem to be carrying on with their work as if everything is normal. Adam comes to a halt, slowly releasing his grip from my hand, and  when I realize I've arrived at my seat. I glance around, still struggling to comprehend what's happening.

“Good morning, Zahra,” my coworkers greet me in their usual manner. My eyes dart to Emma's desk, but she's nowhere to be found. I settle into my seat and take another look at everyone, trying to make sense of it all. 

But just as I turn and face my desk, I almost flinch finding a pair of eyes fixated on me, as if peering into my soul. “Emma,,” I whisper her name, loud enough for her to hear. She sits in her chair, her head slightly tilted, observing me with an impassive expression. “How does it feel to watch his handsome face every single day, every single moment?”

I blink a few times in confusion at her question. “Huh?”

Her eyes narrow as she leans in, staring at me intensely. “You heard me.”