Fifteen: Mocha With An Extra Warning Shot

"Can I have your number?"

"That's what you wanted to ask?" Atlas questioned back, making Emil nod. "You know that you could've gotten my number from the employee files, right?"

"Sure," Emil shrugged. "But I wanted to do it the right way."

"Uh," Atlas paused. "Okay, I guess."

"Really?" Emil smiled brightly, before taking his phone out of his pocket. He unlocked it and then handed it over to Atlas. "Here!"

Atlas typed in his number and saved it. His day was getting weirder and weirder by the minute, and all he wanted to do was get into bed and pass out.

"Done. Bye now."

"Wait!" Emil stopped him. Again. Atlas sighed as he faced the crime boss, raising a questioning brow. "Let me walk you to your apartment. It's not a safe neighborhood."

Atlas blinked. Was the man serious? The chef wanted to say that the neighborhood wasn't safe because of people like him. But he decided against it and just nodded. There was no point in arguing with Emil, and he knew that much by then. The two got out of the car and went inside the building. Atlas tried to walk one step ahead of Emil, though he wasn't sure why.

Once they reached his home, Atlas unlocked his door. He gripped the knob tightly as he looked at his hand, before looking at Emil who had been wordlessly staring at him.

"I appreciate you wanting to respect my boundaries," Atlas stated, his voice low and soft. "You don't...you don't need to leave. But I'm not ready to date you, either."

"Then I'll wait until you're ready," Emil replied without any hesitation.

"And what if I'm never ready?" Atlas retorted. "We're very different people, Emil, and I'm not sure I can get past that."

"Then at least I'd know that I tried," Emil said. "I don't want to let go without giving it my best. Without giving you my best."

"You're really dedicated, aren't you?" Atlas let out a dry chuckle.

"I'm just not afraid to go after what I want," Emil paused. "And that's you."

"Yeah, you've said that plenty of times already," Atlas muttered as he shook head head lightly. "I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight."

With that, Atlas went inside. He leant against the door, his heart beating really fast for reasons he wasn't aware of. He was so goddamn confused, his mind racing and feeling blank at the same time.

Emil had given him an out. He told the chef he'd leave him alone. Atlas just had to agree to it. But he didn't...

That was what he thought he had wanted all this time. For Emil to not bother him anymore. But when Emil said the words... Atlas felt an unfamiliar stab in his chest. He felt... hurt.

He knew that Emil was only trying to respect what he wanted. But the truth was that Atlas no longer knew what that was. Atlas wasn't perfect by any means, but he had always believed that he was a decent human. But what kind of a good person would ever date a known criminal? Atlas knew he should stay away from Emil, but he was finding it harder and harder to do that with every passing day.

Emil was breaking his resolve, and the moral dilemma had Atlas in shambles. Atlas had never, not even once in his life, broken down. Despite the difficulties he faced, and there were many, he always remained strong. Especially with his principles. He couldn't let down the people that depended on him. But at that moment, Atlas felt like he was in the midst of a crisis.