Chapter 4: Pizza Nite

.

.

.

River Place Apartments

8:40 pm Friday, February  22

Roman

I spent what seemed like days practicing Mrs. Lane's preferences. My fingers are so cramped. I'm already late for pizza night. I gotta hurry up.

I grabbed some boxers and started my rock music. I tossed my clothes and quickly hopped in the shower. My only chance to socialize and meet new people and I'm late...typical.

Stumbling towards my dresser, I lotion up and find some suitable clothes. Fixing my curly mop before I grab my keys.

I can't begin to describe how well this week has been going. I've picked up the pace and my music career is going well. I've been getting so much recognition as an artist. With all that hard work and practice, I'm finally seeing results.

I wish Dad could see.

I make my way to the main lobby.

"Hey, Sharon."

"Hey, Ro, stay safe out there."

"Always, will you be here all night?"

"Yeah, we don't get no choice." She held her back and winced."

"I'm so tired...all these double shifts are taking a toll." She said, burying her head. I reached out and gave her the best hug I could.

"It's gonna be just fine, just wait." She squeezes me tight.

"Thanks, Roman. Now don't worry about me. Go have fun, your friends are waiting for you outside."

Confused, I looked to my right to see Zuri and Marley Outside. Releasing Sharon I give her a smile and wave.

"I'll bring you guys some dinner. Is pizza okay?"

"As long as it has pineapples."

"Okay." I laugh, turning away.

Sharon has been so nice these last four months. Helping me decorate, move, and finalize my lease. Her son Ivan and I went to school together. 

She has always been a parental figure in my life and Ivan spent years helping her take care of his sisters. It's the best thing I've ever done. Getting her moved in was fun now she has a job closer than ever. She and the girls are doing better. Shaking my thoughts.

Turning the corner I go down the stairs to head for the exit. I pick up my pase noticing our very annoying bell boy.

'What's good, Ro-Dog!!" My smile disintegrated. Why out of all nicknames did he choose the most humiliating one? He knows I hate it too.

"Still single? Blue balls." He snorts.

"Go fuck yourself dickbag!!" I leave him to his graveyard shift. He's always being unprofessional, nicknaming the residents and laughing off. So many people complain I wonder why they still employ him.

"Don't be such a princess."

I give him the finger before I use the turnstile.

Zuri

It's forty minutes past eight and there's still no sign of Roman.

Marley's been bribing our Taxi driver for ten minutes. I think he's finally fed up. She looked so mad giving him her money. He even asked her to dance at his daughter's birthday.