4.

KRONOS's POV: (Moments before meeting Rhea)

I sighed, rubbing my temples. My wolf was giving me a lot of pain, from his whining to his growling. None of the paperwork or my duties as Alpha could be finished today.

I couldn't concentrate.

What was up with him today? Although I couldn't speak to him since many years ago, he could still read my thoughts.

'I can't relax, human. I feel as though mate is nearby.' Apollo voiced.

My heart sped up at the mention of my mate.

Before I could think my following thoughts, an unknown smell hit me. Regardless of how foreign it was, I wanted more of it.

Was it vanilla? It was soft yet floral. A perfect mixture of both worlds. Usually I hated floral smells, but their scent did not bother me one bit.

One thought filled my mind, and that was to claim and make them mine.

My body started moving on its own. Standing from my chair, I quickly strode over to my office door.

I could sense that there was someone behind my door. A small thrill ran through my body. The sound of my heartbeat racing was the only thing I could hear in my ears. Swallowing nervously, I yanked the door open.

There in front of me stood the most beautiful woman in the world. Luckily, my jaw did not drop in amazement because I was in awe.

'Mate is here!' Apollo howled, excited.

She looked just as surprised as I was because her lips started moving. I couldn't register what she was saying, but realizing my mistake of the possibility that she'd reject me had me shake my head before I slammed the door on her.

My body shudders thinking that she wouldn't want me because of being mute.

I'm not good enough for her.

For anyone.

'What are you doing? You're hurting, mate!' Apollo snarled, angry at me. But I ignored him, lost in my thoughts.

It wasn't easy to control my wolf and my emotions because all we wanted was to claim her and make her ours. My eyes swirled from black to blue, the control weakening.

Sliding against the door, my face flushed red in embarrassment as I ran my fingers through my hair. A million of thoughts were running through my head. That was my mate and my god, no words could describe the emotions she stirred in me.

There's no way she's real.

Is she real?

The Moon Goddess gifted someone like me a mate...

Lost in my thoughts, I realized that it must've been Rhea Grey.

I recognized her instantly. We met during childhood. The name sounded vaguely familiar, but seeing her now returned all the memories.

There's no way I can be her mate... she won't accept me. She would hate how pathetic I am. I can't even perform my alpha duties to the fullest.

'She would never hurt us, Kronos. Let her in.' Apollo insisted.

I disagreed.

Taking a shuddering breath, I dejectedly leaned against the door further.

Sadness consuming me.

I did my best to harden my heart. Bracing for her rejection. She would only hurt me like everyone else has. If I kept her at arms length, her rejection would hurt less. I've suffered more pain than this... by the hands of those who were supposed to love and take care of me.

From my protectors.

After all, just as my mother said, no one could ever love a monster like me.