5.

RHEA's POV:

Kronos stared at me, his expression empty, before he pulled out his phone and started typing.

A minute passed before he finished. Pressing the corner of his phone, it started to echo his message.

'No, I will never reject my Luna. You were gifted to me by the Moon Goddess. I could never turn you away.'

My heart immediately melted... but why did his words not match his body language? I wish it did. There must be a reason why he's like this.

Surprisingly, he wrote something that took me off guard.

'Will you be rejecting me? If so, please do so now. While you have the chance.'

"Why would I reject you?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

'No reason. I was only asking.' He wrote back.

Fidgeting with my hands, I inquired, "If we're not rejecting each other, why did you shut the door on me?"

More silence.

I really won't get anything out of him, huh?

Noticing that we weren't getting anywhere, an idea popped up, and I proposed an icebreaker activity.

"Let's start over, Kronos. Are you fine with stating five things about yourself? I would say five interesting things about myself, and you'd do the same. Like introductions. It's been many years since we last saw each other, after all." I suggested.

The wheels turned in Kronos's head as he pondered to answer my question. 'Nothing is interesting about me.' His texts stated.

Why would he say something like that?

'Nonsense! Mate is the most interesting person in the world!' Daphne argued, upset with his words.

'Something is going on, Daphne. We can't just outwardly ask him. Azrael and he have been dodging my questions.'

'But why? We're his mate. He can trust us!' She whined.

'Trust has to be earned. It's not given. If Azrael said I had to hear it from Kronos, then I need to go at his pace. When he is ready, I will assume that even if I asked the pack members, they wouldn't tell me either.'

'It doesn't hurt to ask! Let's ask the pack members. Mate is hurting!' She growled, wanting me to listen to her.

For once, it wasn't a bad idea... but wouldn't that mean I was going behind their backs to play Sherlock Holmes?

'They won't know.'

'Yes, they would. Maybe I'll ask Coco first before I start snooping around.' I replied before cutting the link.

She can be so bossy sometimes.

Kronos, watching me communicate with my wolf and was silent the entire time, texted, 'Are we done? I have to get back to my duties.'

I frowned at how cold he was being.

What about my Luna Duties? Did Kronos have any intention of introducing me to them? He said he isn't going to reject me, but he's acting like he doesn't want me at the same time.

Men are so confusing.

Seeing my puzzled expression, Kronos sighed as he seemed to read my mind. Texting, 'You will fulfill your Luna duties as soon as possible. However, I know this month will be tough on you. Which is why I believe you shouldn't do anything straining.'

Why is everyone acting like I'm a docile piece of glass? I know my parents passed away at the end of this month. But there's no reason for them to walk eggshells around me.

I'm not a time bomb waiting to explode.

Maybe I've been too mopey lately, and everyone took notice.

I need to improve on bettering my mood.

I am sad, but I won't just have a meltdown.

"Kronos, I appreciate the gesture, but I am fine. Please let me help you. I'm sure there's a lot of work to be done, and it will be easier and more efficient if both of us, together, work on it. I can do the paperwork, and you can do patrols or vice versa." I paused, my gaze never leaving his.

"We're a team, whether you like it or not. I'm your mate. The moon goddess put us together for a reason. You can lean on me. You don't have to do everything by yourself."

Realizing what I was saying, I took note and took a gamble on why he asked if I was going to reject him.

"I would never harm you or leave you. So please, count on that." I say, my words sincere.

For a split second, I could see his facade drop, but it returned to nothing. He cleared his throat and nodded, accepting my help.

'Very well.' He typed, continuing. 'Thank you, Rhea.'

My wolf howled when he used our name, pleased he finally acknowledged our existence.

I blushed slightly, pleased with the outcome.

"You're welcome," I beamed, happy.

Finally, we were getting somewhere.

At least that's what I thought.