Chapter 4

Alicia's P.O.V.

As we entered the library, Savannah and I fell into our familiar routine. It's become a daily ritual for us. Over the past three years, I've been teaching her to read, and while she's embraced the skill, she only feels comfortable reading when we're together in the safety of the library. She shies away from educational books, preferring stories, fearing the judgment of nobles. But today, I have something different in mind. I want to broaden her knowledge and empower her to be bold and resilient in a world that's often hostile to those of low status.

In our society, education is a luxury, especially for those like maids who are considered beneath the notice of the elite. Despite their meager wages, aristocrats rarely support their education, and some go as far as to punish maids who dare to seek knowledge. The few who do get the chance are usually limited to menial roles within the royal household, and even then, opportunities are scarce.

Yet, there are exceptions. Some individuals, regardless of their station, possess exceptional talent and intellect. They may attract the attention of aristocrats who see them as useful pawns for their own ambitions. But for Savannah, I want more. I want to equip her with the tools she needs to navigate the challenges ahead without exploiting her talents for my own gain.

In my previous life, I failed her. Despite my position as crown princess, I was too preoccupied with palace politics to nurture her potential fully. But now, I refuse to make the same mistake. Savannah has always been loyal to me, even saving my life once. She deserves better than to be relegated to the sidelines.

Lost in my thoughts, I was jolted back to the present when Savannah handed me a cup of tea that she had brewed at the library's brewing section. This library is a sanctuary unlike any other, where we can study while enjoying tea and snacks. The books here are not only repositories of knowledge but also enchanted to withstand minor disasters. Yet, even with these safeguards, I know that true strength lies not in magic but in the knowledge and resilience we cultivate within ourselves. And together, Savannah and I will forge a path that defies the limitations imposed by society.

As I sipped my tea, my gaze turned cold as I spotted the two expected guests approaching. It was just as I had anticipated, confirming that I had indeed traveled back in time. The mischievous earl wore a smirk as he locked eyes with me, while beside him stood the second prince, his demeanor as icy and composed as ever, betraying no emotion.

Savannah remained by my side, silent as the two men made their way toward us. The earl's intentions were transparent; he sought to test my patience and hurl insults my way, fueled by his sister's failed bid for the position of crown princess. As for Prince Cyril, his demeanor hinted at a desire to gauge my worthiness for the role.

In my previous life, I had been quick-witted and unafraid to retaliate against those who sought to belittle me.I had even resorted to insulting the earl by ridiculing his sister's penchant for involvement with older and diverse gentlemen. But this time, I resolved to take a different approach. I didn't want to make enemies, yet I refused to tolerate being insulted.

So, I decided to embrace the philosophy of "kill them with kindness." Instead of trading barbs, I chose to respond with grace and civility, refusing to sink to their level. It was a deliberate shift in my behavior, a conscious effort to chart a new course and rewrite the dynamics of our interactions.

"Lady Alicia, as expected, you are here at the library," Lord Devereux sneered.

I let out a small sigh, offering a smile as I rose from my seat. With a graceful bow, I acknowledged the presence of the second Prince Cyril Tudor, although we had technically met before in my previous life.

"Greetings to his royal highness, the second Prince, Prince Cyril Tudor," I said, turning my gaze to Lord Ciel Devereux. "And to you, Lord Ciel Devereux. It is an honor to be graced by the presence of both of you."