15. A Familiar Set Of Eyes

Honestly might be another double upload cause the loreeeee babyyyyy, it's hitting fr
I tend to write by the seat of my pants so whenever things fall into place, the motivation goes crazy
Anywhoooo, enjoy lovelies!
And let me know what y'all are brainstorming, the comments on the last chapter were everything <3
love y'all so so so much
xoxo

Caspian

Alistair had left me to wander on my own for the rest of the day

The irony of this otherwise being yet another grand opportunity to escape, didn't go unnoticed, but Alistair was clearly starting to pick up on my hesitancy with the people here, and somewhere in his path of reasoning he decided he had nothing to worry about.

It sickened me to know he was right.

Under his direct orders, I started to walk the corridors of the Inn. The sun from high noon was bright, pushing light through the open windows on both ends of the hall I stood in, illuminating these brick walls.

I hadn't noticed the prior night, or at the first touch of sunlight this morning when I went looking for Alistair, but the walls in every hall were lined with large gold-framed paintings. Beautiful works, some looking much older than maybe even the Inn itself. I could tell by the fading of the paint, it resembled the art that once hung throughout my palace walls.

I allowed myself to walk slowly as I admired the still-life art. The paintings of beautiful flowers in vases. Some of the land itself, much like the wall-length painted mural that stood a floor below. There wasn't anyone occupying the rooms up here this afternoon, which helped put some of my uncomfortableness aside while admiring each piece.

Alistair mentioned there was a study on the first floor, and after a few more moments up here on my own, I decided I had quite honestly nothing better to do with my time. I didn't have the courage to walk through town on my own yet, so all that left was this Inn.

The door leading to the stairwell was easily located at the end of the last hall. The Inn's corridors essentially created a square within the building, allowing rooms on either side of the walls, with one stairwell running through the back right side of the building. There were only two levels in total. As I pulled open the door, and started my way down the tight winding steps, I didn't think much of the first few steps I took. My hand reached out to hold the surprisingly warm wooden rail that curved with the steps themselves, making this decent easier.

It was when I realized those steps had become three... then six.. then nine... then twelve-

I stopped a moment, looking out in front of me at the dark stone walls. They were only lit in this otherwise enclosed space, by a sparing amount of torches fastened against the wall itself. This has been too many steps, I told myself. I should've reached the first floor by now. The steps I took next were more hesitant, moving slowly lower until I finally saw a door emerging from the slight darkness below me. Once my foot rested on the final, flat platform, I reached for the handle of the wooden door and gently pushed it open.