~Chapter 3~

I didn't want a weak handler.
There wasn't much to worry about considering very few of the Kymari were very weak, but I wanted one that looked more promising than the rest or had plenty of room to grow.

Ever since Tasha started the theme of cooperation with the Kymari, there were many regulars to the park.
It seemed there were quite a few that desired to be 'chosen' by a dragonet and treated visiting the park regularly the same as playing the lottery and hoping to get lucky.

I'm not sure how trustworthy one that's actively seeking to be chosen would be.
So my eyes started to wander away from the ones I saw visiting regularly and over to the new faces that were in a more remote section of the park.

They seemed to be sparring, which was much more fun to watch than any of the other Kymari that just come to sit down or watch the Morning Song.
I observed from a branch close enough to eavesdrop on the pair.

"Come on, dad! You know I'm only joining the Enforcers, right? The basics are enough! I don't need all this training, when was the last time anyone has done anything major?" The younger Kymari complained tiredly.
Young was pretty relative in Kymari terms.

"The question should not be when the last time was, it should be when the next time will be! There is always a next time! I'm not going to lose you and regret not making you prepare yourself for the worst." The older Kymari replied with authority while swinging a heavy fist of parental guidance.

I could tell it was a skilled punch, but even so, the young Kymari managed to muster up a last second dodge.
The only way that could have worked out for someone without experience was if they had a naturally talented build.

It would have been wise to ask a bonded dragonet for suggestions first, but I think I already know who I'm picking.
I don't think the Kymari get much of a choice when a dragonet chooses them anyway.
It's probably very hard to decline.

"What are you doing over here?" I heard Jayla send over the mindlink and land nearby.

"Lounging around in the sun all day isn't the life for me. I think I want to join in on the bondage fun..." I answered, and got smacked with a green wing. "Ow."

"Don't say it like that!" Jayla hissed.

"Fine. Anyway, I've already scouted out the Kymari I'm going to choose." I said, staring at my new partner.

"Then I'm coming too." She interrupted.

"You don't have to come with me... I don't think sicora hunting is the job for you." I shut her down quickly.

"No way, I'm coming anyway."

"Well, then don't steal my thunder. I haven't even made them think I'm a loner, so I'm going to have to work hard to force myself on them." I pushed her back to make sure she waited for me to get the ball rolling but I could hear a faint rustle of her trying to smack me again for how the sentence ended.

I didn't even hesitate to fly down to where the younger Kymari was panting in defeat and being berated about getting stronger.
But they shut up quickly after they saw me diving down onto the ground next to them.

"Holy sicora, that's a big fire lizard! Are we the first ones to make a fire lizard angry?" The young Kymari ponders stiffly.

I strolled right up to him and stood up on my hind legs to lean against his leg.
I didn't care about his flinch at all, I was going to keep this up until he had to take me.

I was already fighting instincts to get this close, but fear be damned, I'll fly into the city after him if I have to, I'm not living my life in this park as just another lazy oaf.

"Haha! Looks like you might become a fire lizard handler! And there's no way they'll let you keep the job if you don't practice." His father laughs somewhat cheerfully at the excuse to force him into more practice, still being hushed to avoid 'provoking' me.

"What?! No! Why don't you charm it instead? You're more fit for the job!" He responded quietly and panicked.
I could see he was trying to use gestures to make me focus on his dad instead, but I ignored it and kept him still.

"What do we do? Should we call some of the fire lizard handlers?" He questioned in confusion.

"I'm already on it." The older Kymari responded while fidgeting with a machine on his wrist.

I think I've done a good enough job to snare my handler, so I get off him and let him move again.

While I waited for them to decide, I felt a mindlink connection from Tasha come out of nowhere.
"Why didn't you tell me what you were planning first?! Did you even plan this at all? What if they don't want to be bonded to you?" She berated.

Well, I don't think he looks too enthusiastic about it, but I don't plan on giving him a choice either way.
I kept chirping at him to make sure he didn't forget my presence.
'You're mine now!'

"Taureen was the only one that answered and he says this is the kind of thing an Elder will have to decide." The older Kymari said.

I felt a draft as Jayla zipped down to join me, despite not being fully over her fear herself.
She tried to entrap the one I was after too, but I stopped her right there.

"Don't try to take mine! You can have the other one!" I grumbled.

"You can share yours! Don't be selfish!" She pouts.

The Kymari had no idea what to do now that there were two of us, they left the park in a hurry.

"Aww, they ran away before I could do anything! You hogged all the attention!" Jayla pouts at me.

"They'll be back. The older Kymari looked like he wants him to have a reason to practice harder, there's no way he's letting him escape this opportunity if their Elders allow it." I smirked deviously.

If they don't come back, then I'll find them myself..