3 months until war[10]

|°•-𝓓𝓾𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼-•°|~ the act of using force, false imprisonment, coercion, threats, or psychological pressure to compel someone to act contrary to their wishes or interest

Fun fact: As Lucius comes from the novel, and now currently living his 2nd life, there are times when he gets memories of the past that will forever haunt him with guilt. Mostly of Edur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You never understood why the whole night Lucius held you tightly close. His body shook as if he stayed in the cold for Lord knows how long. He was so so silent as he hid his head on your shoulder. Pressing small kisses on your shoulder as if he was trying to see you were solid and there, not a figment on his own imagination.

Your breath was caught inside your throat as your cheeks burned red. For such a cold man that you assumed him to be. He had shown so many things to you that broke your vision of him being just a character. Your heart was speeding up in a way you wished you could control. But you couldn't stop him, your heart controlled your mind at that moment.

"Lucius, pray tell....what happened? You are acting so desperately"

You asked without thinking it back. His head moving from your shoulder as his hair cascades on his chest.  With the moonlight. He looked nothing more than a majestic vampire. Something you might compare to twilight if you were back in your old life.

"There was a dream where I lost you....and I couldn't bear it."

He said mindlessly, his grey eyes looking into your [e/c] ones. His eyes are slightly glossy as he stares at your features before leaning his head on your chest. Despite you wanting to refuse.

"Just...let me stay close to you."

He whispered in a way that could make any woman's heart melt. So you just nodded, embracing him back. You could say this was a way to repay him, like the day you had that dream you still didn't figure out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you sure you want to go?"

Mary asked you as you placed these cute knitted gloves on Edur hands, he  just giggled and cooed as if there was no tomorrow, as if he knew that your attention was on him. He completely stole your heart, just right there on day 1 despite being a difficult bundle to carry.

"I want to go, it is my Duty as Grand Dutchess, and I am supposed to support my husband all I can with my knowledge and mind."

You almost cursed but kept it simple. Mary just sighs, nodding softly. She knew you take your duties as seriously as Lucius does. but only if she knew the burden you carry was far too harsh on your shoulder. 

"I understand, have a safe trip to your highness."

She waved you goodbye as you carried Edur to the carriage and hopped on. It wasn't unusual that these days you have been visiting the low class area to check how they are doing these days, and a bit more specific, seeing that little girl that you could identify as the "villainess" of the story.

She is just a little child now, and you could see the joy in her eyes when you visit her as she stayed all cuddled and warm in that white coat you gave her. But currently, you and Lucius are going to a meeting held by the Royals advisor. You lied to Mary, not wanting her to worry about anything, as the poor young woman dealt with many things already.

The ride there was quiet until you both arrived. Lucius walked to the other side as he left first, giving you his hand as you stepped out of the carriage with Edur in your arms. Winter was becoming much colder each day,, and you weren't sure what that would do with the upcoming war....

As you step in the royal halls your eyes widened. This couldn't compare to Lucius estate, because everything was so... extravagant. Is this what the taxes of the low class goes to? A fancy palace? Your eyebrows furrowed at that. 

You added more reasons why you hated the Emperor. Announcing war right after 2 months when the raid happened, just because of fun? Your hand shook. But you stopped when you felt the castle shake underneath you.

Was this an earthquake?! Lucius grabbed you close to him and after one minute it stopped...what just happened? The maids in the castle were confused too. But they couldn't care less. You sigh. Moving away from Lucius arms and just continued walking to the meeting room.

There, inside the room were the advisors, other dukes and viscounts, and 2 empty seats for you and Lucius. You sat down and Lucius sat on your left.

"Shall we start the meeting now?"

The royal advisor asked, and everyone silently nodded. The room was filled with tension before everyone started to speak.

"These raids have been going everywhere"

"what is his majesty doing with this?"

"We can't keep going like this...."

"This is getting out of control..."

"The emperor has been meaning to raise the low class taxes, that way we could afford to pay for the damage." One of the viscounts says, making you snap your head to look at them. Your eyes widened. That could cause a strike! Low class people are suffering already.

"No, we could not! They could cause a strike, plus aren't they suffering already? They lost their jobs and their homes, raising the tax would only make them suffer more, don't you think they could also struck us? They can get us killed if they group together and perhaps start a civil war" You snapped, perhaps that's why the emperor started the war, too afraid to let go of power. But that made him get killed later in the novel.

Lucius eyes widened at your stance. But he understood. He nodded following your statement. "The Grand Dutchess is correct, if the taxes are raised for the poor, civil war might break out. It's best that we tax the high class better, I don't care if they cause a fuss about it."

The room became silent before it filled with a small statement of agreement. They are too afraid to let go of power like the emperor, and that tax wouldn't hurt them. But a viscount spoke out.

"Wouldn't that also cause harm to us. Why would a woman say that when your focus is supposed to be of taking care of the house?"

Of course, it was the old viscount that focused too much on sexism. You felt disgusted, as now you were so thankful that the author added a bit of a normal balance on men and woman. But Lucius was furious. The room darkened as you see a bit of glow under his hand.

"No it wouldn't. I would suggest you shut your mouth before I sew it for you, you won't talk about my wife like that."

You saw a bit of black swirls around Lucius, and you placed a hand on his shoulder. Making Lucius move his head to look at you and calm down. Edur curiously looks at his father as he hasn't seen him in that state before making grabby hands towards him. Lucius placed Edur on his lap.

"So we all agreed that we should raise the task of the nobles?"

Everyone silently nodded. So the advisor brought out a paper and wrote it down, everyone signing it. The only one that needed to sign this was the emperor. But who else cared for him when he doesn't focus on the laws. The advisor was basically doing all the work. So he copied the Emperor's signature and wrote his name down.

The advisor clasped his hand together, his eyes cold, but he kept a fake smile upon his face

"Now, enough of this talk, his majesty was currently thinking of starting war against the monsters."

Now, this is the thing that you were waiting for. The talk of war.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/n: sorry for almost waiting an whole entire month for a update, please don't come at me! But I hope you liked this chapter!

There will be also an special chapter coming today, it might be considered an apology from how much you all waited-